We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for great beach and convenience to tubing?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for great beach and convenience to tubing?

We have been looking at cruises that include Belize. The beaches in Belize look beautiful and now I'm considering a land vacation instead. We would also like to go river tubing and possibly either zip lining or go to see the ruins.

We like smaller hotels on a beautiful white sand beach. We like to lie on the beach during the day then hang out at the hotel bar, listen to music and chit chat at night. We enjoy eating meals at a variety of places, some small and casual and some fancy. We don't like being stuck at all inclusive resort. We also don't like to change resorts in the middle of the vacation. Once we arrive, we stay in one hotel.

Where would be a good area to stay in Belize where we could go on excursions like Viv river tubing? I saw Almond Beach resort and it looks nice but I have no idea what areas are convenient. Thanks for your help.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
115 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for great beach and convenience to tubing?

Check out options in Placencia. It is one of the best land based beaches in Belize. River tubing is available from there at Cockscomb Wildlife Preserve 45 minutes drive from the Village. There are guided tours there daily. You can get help to book them from the management at whatever property you choose to stay at. Check out hotels and resorts in Placencia at: www.placencia.com.

Note that if you want to have a large variety of restaurant options and entertainment at your leisure you should pick a place that is south of the airport. They have maps on the placencia web site for this. Any place north of the airstrip will be over two miles from the village. While there are many hotels and resorts north of the Placencia airport, the distance from the village makes it more difficult to access the village at your leisure. You would either need to taxi or use the resort's shuttle if they have one, but you would have a bit of dependency on them. I point out this location matter because all of the resorts on the entire 16 mile long peninsula are listed as being located in Placencia, but the village itself is at the tip of this long peninsula. Since you indicated a desire to have multiple eating options and bar then you will get the largest number of those in a concentrated area in the Village. It is a small village so you have lots of options but not an overwhelming number of tourists either. Get to hang out in and around the locals who are very friendly.

There are many price options for places to stay. My favorite is Chabil Mar.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for great beach and convenience to tubing?

Placencia would be my first recommendation. It has a nice beach. I know you mentioned not moving, but I would highly recommend not staying in just one place since Belize is very small, and has many places to see. At least do a little research on Cayo and the cayes too. Now if you're here for only a long weekend, one spot is the way to go.

Have fun!

3. Re: Where to stay for great beach and convenience to tubing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 06:19