We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun to Belize - the best way?

london
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun to Belize - the best way?

Hi,

I will be travelling from Cancun to Belize, what is the best way? My preference would be an overnight bus as this saves time. Is this easy to organise?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun to Belize - the best way?

6 hr bus to the border by bus or Tropic air flight, about 60 mins

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun to Belize - the best way?

How do you define "best"?

If you want to get to Belize quickly, the best way is to get the Tropic Air flight from Cancun to Belize City.

If you have lots of time, the best way would be by bus.

If you need a car, rent a car in Cancun.

Another option is to arrange a transfer service to pick you up at the airport and drive you to Belize.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun to Belize - the best way?

The overnight bus saves money not time. Having just done the trip, one way by Tropic Air and one way by the overnight bus, I would recommend factoring the $360US for the return Tropic Air flight into your Cancun ticket and fly both ways. The overnight bus from Cancun to Belize City is more like 8-9 hours.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun to Belize - the best way?

I prefer the overnight bus. It's reliable and safe, but very cold.

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun to Belize - the best way?

The bus would be my option, if your flight into Cancun is late afternoon/evening anyway. Very easy and we had a good experience. It takes longer, but we figured we'd either fly down to Belize and arrive just in time to eat and go to bed, or bus down and arrive just in time to start the day. Either way, you get the same amount of useful time in the country.

And make sure you wear layers - we'd heard about how cold the bus is, and then seemed to get the one driver who didn't want the air con on full blast so it was nicely warm on board.

6. Re: Cancun to Belize - the best way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:16