We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Belize itinerary help

New York, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in Belize itinerary help

Hello,

My boyfriend and I would like to go to Belize for 7 days in November. Is that a good time to go? Is it hot enough to swim in the ocean? What is the best recommended itinerary. I tend to be a less of a touristy traveler. I like to go where it's beautiful and there is stuff to see, but also stay where it's less touristy. Is there a suggested route if we want adventure (hiking, volcano, ruin visits, rafting, etc.) and rest (beach), but also culture and walking (discovering one city)?

My boyfriend surfs, are there any good surf spots?

We will be flying from New York.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
183 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Belize itinerary help

We visited Belize last year at the end of October and it was great. Had some rain due to Hurrican Sandy, but once that headed north it was sunny and hot, great for the beach.

It is tough to get everything you're looking for in one location. Hopkin's village is not too touristy, nice beach, great restaurants, and hiking but not real close to ruins.

San Iganacio is more in the jungle and closer to Mayan ruins, and river tubing, not too touristy.

San Pedro is located on one of the small keyes and is more touristy but has great snorkeling, restaurants and nightlife.

We spent 10 days and stayed in all three places and that was ideal.

There isn't surfing in Belize due to the barrier reef, but that makes for amazing snorkeling and scuba. Pretty sure there aren't any volcanos. Costa Rica has the volcanos and surfing but no ruins.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Belize itinerary help

Even with a week, I'd split your trip. Stay a few nights in/around San Ignacio for Mayan sites, cave tubing, jungle hiking, canoeing, ATM cave.

Then, head to one of the beach destinations. Ambergris Caye is the busiest and most touristy. Still not very touristy compared to many places. Close by is Caye Caulker, has a nice vibe, not much for beaches though.

I've never been to Hopkins, it might meet your needs. Or, further south in Placencia.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Belize itinerary help

Thanks for the tips both of you:) I will let you know what we decide and ask more recommendations if needed

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Belize itinerary help

I agree about a San Ignacio/island split. If you'd like to be more off the beaten path and can afford a hopper flight (to save time in a short itinerary), consider the Punta Gorda area for your mainland time. We prefer Caulker to Ambergris but it's a personal decision. My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in Belize itinerary help

Try time your visit to be in Hopkins November 19th. You will be in a Garifuna village for Garifuna Settlement Day, which is also a national holiday. You have to reserve your lodging well in advance, I would say by July. Hopkins is also close to the hiking trails and waterfall pools at Cockscomb and Mayflower parks. Visit San Ignacio/Tikal for the ruins. You can rent a car for the week or fly directly into or from Dangriga from/to the International airport and take private transfers/bus to/from San Ignacio. Dangriga is the nearest airport and a half hour drive from Hopkins.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in Belize itinerary help

I would recommend a split between beach & inland as mentioned above. Easily doable in a week - 3 or 4 nights inland/jungle & 3 or 4 nights beach. Hopkins & Placencia are very interesting culturally and can be easily combined with Punta Gorda or Cayo/San Ignacio for the jungle portion. Lots of great hotel & lodge options depending on your price range. All of it is beautiful and it will be hot enough to swim in the ocean in November. Hopkins has the most wave action of anywhere in the country but no surfing in Belize (unless there is a hurricane nearby!)

7. Re: 7 days in Belize itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 07:17