We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for transfers

Orange, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for transfers

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Belize starting June 23 this year. We have the following itinerary and would like your advice on transfers.

1. From Belize city (arriving at 10:15 am) to San Ignacio.

2. From San Ignacio to Tikal (1 night at the park)

3. From Tikal to Flores (1 night at Flores).

4. From Flores to Ambergris caye.

We are not sure what the best way is to do this. Please provide cost if you know.

Also, are there charges for entering and leaving Guatemala? We read somewhere someone got charged extra for the fees that were supposed to be included in the transport service? Any tips you have for us is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for transfers

Travel by road from Belize Intl to San Ignacio to Tikal and Flores. Tropic air from Flores to San Pedro. Your hotel in San Ignacio can arrange your road transfers

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for transfers

1. From Belize City to San Ignacio.

Cheap: bus from the bus terminal to San Ignacio (BZ$7 per passenger)

Easy & comfortable: use a transfer service

Fast: flight with Tropic Air

2. From San Ignacio to Tikal

Cheap: buses and taxis

Easy & comfortable: use a transfer service or join a tour with one of the tour companies in SI.

3. From Tikal to Flores.

Bus or taxi

4. From Flores to Ambergris caye.

Cheap: Express bus from Flores to Belize City, then water taxi to AC.

Fast: Tropic Air flight Flores to BC, then to AC.

Comfortable: Transfer service.

I don't know your priority (cost, speed or comfort) so can't say which is best for you.

More details can be found on the Belize Bus & Travel Guide...

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

When you leave Belize at a land border, the fees amount to BZ$37.50 payable in BZ$ or US$.

When you enter & depart Guatemala, you'll probably be asked to pay 10 to 30 quetzales. I don't know if these are legal fees, but it's only a few dollars. Some travellers have reported that they have disputed the fees and allowed to enter/leave without paying.

When you re-enter Belize, no fees.

Edited: 07 June 2013, 04:44
Orange, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for transfers

Thank you for the info. We will book Tropic air for the flight. For ground transfer, I heard buses don't have air conditioner and can get pretty hot. One of the hotels we will stay at quotes $175 plus 23.75% service charge and tax for a one way trip from Belize city to San Ignacio. We probably will use a transfer service. Is there a company you would recommend?. Should we have transportation pre-arranged and paid for before we get there or should we just look for something when we arrive? We want to make sure we get to the hotel in time.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for transfers

a) William’s Belize Shuttle,

www.parrot-nest.com/belize_shuttle.html

b) Discounted Belize Shuttles and Tours,

discountedbelizeshuttlesandtours.com/index.h…

You will have to arrange for these services to meet you.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for transfers

Tax on road transfers is 12.5% and I never heard of any company adding a gratuity charge on a transfer.

Chandler
Level Contributor
294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for transfers

Hi Mister,

Have you used "Discounted" Shuttles?

Their prices look good.

Thanks!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for transfers

I haven't used them, but I've read a few positive comments on this forum -- no negative comments.

Chandler
Level Contributor
294 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for transfers

Thanks!

Checking prices across the board.

Can you tell me if the SI/Maya Flats airport is really out of the way? We would like to do ground transportation from BZE to SI upon arrival then would like to fly from SI to San Pedro.

Thanks!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for transfers

Maya Flats is very close to San Ignacio, just a 5 to 10 minute ride. I've used William from Belize Shuttles quite a few times, and he's awesome! Have fun!

10. Re: Advice for transfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 05:16