We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Mayan site with kids?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
115 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Which Mayan site with kids?

I'm starting to tentatively plan our trip next summer. We will be traveling with 4 adults and two boys ages 9 & 13 then. We plan on a few days to a week inland probably doing adventure tours and another week in the cayes. I'd really like to visit at least one maybe two of the large sites. We are not going to do Tikal I think it's just long of a day and would not be enjoyable. I'm still not set on where we will stay inland either. I'm trying to get an idea of what we want to see first. So long story short which do you think would be most interesting to kids? They are very adventurous and well traveled but they are still kids.

Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,787 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Mayan site with kids?

The largest site in Belize is Caracol, in Cayo and a drive thru the Mtn Pine Ridge and into deep forest. Xunantunich is closer to San Ignacio town and a smaller site

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,746 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Mayan site with kids?

Since it sounds as though you have a decent amount of time, I'd head to Tikal, but, I'd spend the night there. Depending on your kids, you could do the sunrise tour. If they aren't into getting up early, you'd still be at the park without the crowds, and will probably have good wildlife sightings.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Mayan site with kids?

Where else will you be? I think the Lamanai trip would be awesome unless it is so out of your way it doesn't make sense. Caracol would be about as much time in the car as Tikal, I think, maybe more. In addition to Xunantunich, Cahal Pech is very accessible - we were pleasantly surprised by it.

For what it's worth, if you decide to visit Tikal overnight, it's likely to be your best wildlife viewing of the trip. Roxy Ortiz is amazing with kids. Check out the reviews below. Happy trails!

http://tikalroxy.blogspot.com/

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g292015-d2…

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
115 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Mayan site with kids?

Thank you all, as I've read more I think we might stay at caves branch. Their adventures look amazing. If we did go to Tikal I only see two places to stay, or are there more nearby? Anyone taken kids to Tikal that could share their experience?

Thank you!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Mayan site with kids?

There are 3 hotels in the park: Jungle Lodge, Tikal Inn (my favorite), and Jaguar Inn. It's also possible to stay in El Remate or Flores - more options and generally cheaper but further away. I recommend staying in the park.

It will be HOT so staying overnight so you can explore in the cooler evening and early morning hours when wildlife is active and you practically have the place to yourself is a good idea. The 1st 2 hotels listed have pools, so nice in the heat. Pick a guide that will cater to kids but not talk down to them. Happy trails!

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Mayan site with kids?

I am planning to go to Belize and Guatemala this summer with my wife and kids, who are 10 (son) and 13 (daughter) years old and very adventurous. Our plan is to drive down from Cancun to Tulum for a few days on the beach, then on to Orange Walk. We want to take a day trip to Lamanai because it sounds like an exciting trip along the river (crocodilles and monkeys and all that stuff) with a nice Mayan site at the end. Then we are booked for three nights at the Black Rock Lodge, with a stop at the Belize Zoo and Calico Jack's for ziplining on the way. We chose BRL because of the horseback riding - my daughter loves it. We want to take a daytrip to ATM from BRL. Then we will head to Tikal for one night - staying at the Jaguar Inn. We are booked with Roxy for the evening tour, and we'll see if I can get the troops up at 4 am for the sunrise one (not counting on it). Then on to Flores for a night on the island, then back to San Ignacio and finally on to Caye Caulker for some relaxation and snorkelling at the end before driving back to Cancun and flying home to Prague. I have done a ton of research on this and other sites, and the posters here have been extremely helpful (especially you, Hopefulist - I've been meaning to write to thank you for all of your inspiration. So thanks a ton!!!).

I can let you know how it all turned out afterward - I will definitely write a trip report, so keep an eye out for it in August.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Mayan site with kids?

Any recommendations for a tour company going to the Mayan ruins from ambergris caye?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Mayan site with kids?

Thanks for the shout out, Jeff! You should post about taking a rental across all those borders if you have that part figured out - it comes up a lot and I'm never been able to help because - except for a week or so at a time in México - we haven't rented cars on our Latin America trips.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Mayan site with kids?

Hi Hopefulist,

We have researched the rental car situation a lot. We are renting from a company in Cancun (Caribbean Car Rental) that provides affidavits for traveling to Belize and Guatemala. The Belize one is free, but the one to Guatemala will cost $150. You can buy insurance for Belize on the border, but you can't in Guatemala. But I have rental car insurance on the credit card that I will use to rent the car, and they have assured me that I am covered. Hopefully everything will turn out OK. I will certainly post afterwards.

Thanks again,

Jeff

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Mayan site with kids?

The no-insurance-in-Guatemala bit would be an issue for me. Driving there, if you have an accident, hit a pig, etc. you could be delayed for days. I haven't rented a car in Guatemala and am not speaking 1st hand, but the rules are different and sometimes nonexistent there. Best to drive only during daylight hours and be very watchful, especially for kids and livestock on/near the road. ¡Buena suerte!