We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize with kids

C K
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Belize with kids

Hi all. We are planning a trip to central america in early 2015 for 2-3 months. We are a family of 4, Mom, Dad and 2 kids. The kids will be 6 and 9 at the time of the trip. As a family we have done a 2 week trip to Costa Rica together (late 2012). We were mostly independent while we were there, we rented a car for 3/4 of our trip and went where we thought would be fun. Not really interested in big cities (San Jose wasn't fun).

We would like to go to 3 or 4 places for 3 - 4 weeks at a time.

History, jungles, animals, beaches are what we are looking for.

Where would you take your family to visit?

Any and all ideas would be appreciated and looked into.

I am posting this in each country in C A.

Thanks

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize with kids

Hopkins Village in Belize and Lake Atitlán in Guatemala would both be high on my list with kids. Do you and your kids speak Spanish? It would be a wonderful opportunity to settle somewhere and take classes at a good school (some accommodate kids really well). That eliminates Belize, of course. Hope you find just what you're looking for!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize with kids

Belize has the largest barrier reef in the hemisphere and would think you would want to spend your snorkelling or diving time there or Roatan. The Cayo district of Belize is quite spectacular and has much to offer and en route to Tikal in Guatemala.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize with kids

I'd recommend Placencia, Hopkins, and Cayo in Belize, and Rio Dulce and Antigua in Guatemala.

Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize with kids

place to stay in hopkins, check VRBO and look for blue moon cabana, or there is Caribbean shores, coconut row, all season, these are all lovely places, and with hopkins your immersed into the culture!!! transportation and tours can be arranged by emailing blingdog_91@yahoo.com or you could rent a car right at the international airport and drive to your destination, jungle lodge at bocawina is very Eco friendly, and it is one of the best places for food.

C K
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize with kids

Thanks for all the great tips guys and gals!!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize with kids

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

7. Re: Belize with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 07:17