We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing Belize borders

HORSHAM
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing Belize borders

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico but plan to take a bus down the coast to Belize.

My question is: will I need to pay anything when crossing in to or out of Belize on either the Mexican or Belize side?

I have a UK passport and upon arrival in Cancun I was given a 180 day visa. Haven't payed the 'DNI' because not sure if I have to?!

Thanks for your help!

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing Belize borders

Yes...US$30...you pay it on the Mexico side.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing Belize borders

The issuer of the airline ticket should advise whether or not the DNI fee was included in the price of the ticket. The fee is 295 pesos or whatever the equivalent is in your own currency.

If the fee has NOT been included in the ticket price, you'll have to pay it at a bank (in pesos) before leaving Mexico, but since the border officials are likely to ask for money anyway, I wouldn't pay at a bank. Just hand it over at the border.

If the fee HAS been included in the ticket price, there should not be any fees to pay at the border (there is no exit fee/tax). However, the immigration official might ask for money anyway. This has been an ongoing scam for years. Your airline ticket should have a code for the DNI fee.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 21:08
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing Belize borders

When you enter Mexico the first time, you pay the standard fee (somewhere around US$25-30), but it's usually included in your ticket.

When you enter Mexico the second time (coming back from Belize), you'll get a bill to pay the fee again. You pay this at a bank, or you'll have trouble flying home later.

When you leave Mexico for Belize, you may be asked for money by the Mexican official there. This is an example of corruption. No fees should be payable at a Mexican border post. For fun, try to point this out.

On the *Belize* side of the border there may be fees as well. I don't remember.

Not worth the hassle if you ask me. I'd make Belize a separate trip.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing Belize borders

Not all flights from the UK include the DNI fee in the ticket price -- that's why you have to check. If payment is shown as a code on your ticket, you might not have to pay at the border when leaving Mexico (I've heard of people trying this).

No fees when entering Belize, but the fees when leaving Belize amount to BZ$37.50, payable in BZ$ or US$.

When you re-enter Mexico, you'll get a new FMM and another 180 days. You should have to pay the DNI fee at a bank before you leave Mexico, but if you don't pay before you go to the airport, you might or might not be asked to pay the fee. I've experienced both -- don't know why they sometimes ask for payment and sometimes they don't.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing Belize borders

Apparently, you don't have to pay the DNI fee if you enter Mexico by land and stay less than 7 days, or so says the Mexican Embassy in Belize:

…sre.gob.mx/belice/…726

I hope this is the case, as I will be travelling with my wife and kids from Mexico to Belize and Guatemala in the coming weeks. I will return to Mexico only to fly out, so hopefully I won't have to pay the DNI a second time when crossing the border from Belize (or when flying out).

On a similar note, does anyone know if kids have to pay the same Belize departure tax as adults? We are going to Guatemala (Tikal) so the fees are going to add up if we have to pay the full amount for all of us.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing Belize borders

According to the Mexican Embassy in Belize and the Mexican Honorary Consul in Corozal, the DNI does not have to be paid if the visitor is in Mexico for 7 days or less AND leaves Mexico through the same point where they arrived.

If the visitor arrives at one point and leaves through another, i.e. intransit, then the fee stil has to paid regardless of the number of days spent in Mexico.

"4. Persons intransit must do the payment each time they enter Mexico with the purpose of transiting to another country following the same procedure as indicated before."

But, on one ocassion, I was not asked for the fee after transiting Mexico.

Re: Belize departure fees...

Children under 12 are exempted.

http://www.bmabz.com/travel-migration/

Edited: 01 July 2013, 16:37
Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crossing Belize borders

Thanks for the information about the Belize departure fees. Good to know that we won't have to pay at least for my 10-year-old son.

I wasn't sure what they meant by "intransit". Thanks for the confirmation. So you think it is best to not pay at the border and then see what happens at the airport? We are flying into Cancun, heading south to Belize, then flying out of Cancun again. Technically twice "in transit", so perhaps we will have to pay twice. But we are also coming and going from the same place (the Cancun airport) and spending less than 7 days total in Mexico, so who knows?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crossing Belize borders

So you think it is best to not pay at the border and then see what happens at the airport?

Yes.

We are flying into Cancun, heading south to Belize, then flying out of Cancun again. Technically twice "in transit", so perhaps we will have to pay twice.

Possibly? This is Mexico -- as you say, who knows.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crossing Belize borders

Thanks, MisterB! You are a great source of info on Belize. I've been reading a lot of your posts in preparation for our trip.

HORSHAM
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crossing Belize borders

Ok important advice:

Last night I crossed from Mexico to Belize, and the official said you must pay the DNI in the bank unless you had your boarding card to prove your airline had payed.

Don't throw away your boarding card like we did!!!

Didn't pay anything on the Belize side but probably will when we head back to Cancun..