We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Belize safe?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Is Belize safe?

I'm considering traveling to Belize for a jungle/beach mix vacation with my wife.

Is Belize safe?

seeing this site and the Canadian advisory made me question.

http://www.belizefirst.com/BelizeNews2010.htm

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/belize

Thanks for any comments!

G

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Belize safe?

Here's another: …state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1055.html

Sort of a self-answering question...

New Jersey
Level Contributor
385 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Belize safe?

All of us have a different idea of what 'safe' is...having said that...I traveled with my wife for 4 days in the jungle and 4 day on Caye Caulker....we loved it and I felt very safe. We rented a car...and drove the whole time (expect on Caye Caulker of course).

We did stay just outside San Ignacio in Iguana Junction and you passed a checkpoint with an armed guard there on your drive in and out of town, but that did not bother me...and we never saw or heard of any trouble...and as I said, we drove all over...loved it there....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Belize safe?

Thanks luck49!

Good to know. Which jungle destination / lodge did yo stay at may I ask?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
385 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Belize safe?

We stayed at Iguana Junction (about 2/3 miles outside San Ignacio)...think it was like $45 a night...you can see my review...but keep in mind this was 4 years ago...

We had a rental car so we drove all over....we stopped by The Belize Zoo on the way out from Belize City (small but great...a real experience) and then we also drove out to Five Sisters Falls, checked out Blancaneaux, Rio on Pools and the 1000ft falls....just spent the day driving in the Pine Ridge area (think that is what it is called)...

We did the ATM tour with Mayawalk Tours (I think...again 4 years ago, but that was awesome), you just go downtown San Ignacio and book it right on main street....the tour we did was hiking (you have to swim in) in a cave...totally dark...you wear a helmet with a light on it....would do it again tomorrow...

Hope this helps...I am now remembering how overwhelming it was to put the trip together, but it was sooooo worth it...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Belize safe?

Thanks a lot! Sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing; gives us great ideas.

Is the public transit (bus, I assume) a good option compared to renting a car?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
385 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Belize safe?

Don't know...we wanted to make the most of our time (we don't like to work off a bus schedule, but others do)...we gave up the car back in Belize City when we headed over to the Cayes...but walk everywhere on Caye Caulker....

We did meet people who took buses into Belize from Mexico (Cancun and such) and told some funny stories...but don't know about buses between areas...search for it in the search bar and I bet someone can tell you...

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Belize safe?

Are the public buses a good option?

They can be if you want cheap transport between the main cities & towns. On some main routes, bus service is frequent -- hourly or half-hourly.

But, most of the buses are used Bluebird school buses; not very comfortable, not air-conditioned, and not well equipped to handle luggage, but they are cheap!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Belize safe?

The buses are cheap and mostly reliable too. They can take a while since they stop often. Belize is safe. As everyone says, use common sense, and don't stay out late.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
183 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Belize safe?

In looking over the Canadian site it says there is a moderate level of crime. If you were to look at Costa Rica and Honduras on the same site, you would see they recommend caution due to increasing levels of violent crime. So relatively speaking, Belize still looks to be a good option for those who exercise caution and common sense.

10. Re: Is Belize safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 06:18