We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time between key spots

Santa Ana...
Level Contributor
98 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Drive time between key spots

Hello, I can't seem to find an answer to a silly question...drive time! Can a generous soul tell me..

Drive time from rental car rental in Belize to Caye Caulker...would I leave the car on the mainland?

suggestions for a fun breakfast spot along the way?

Caye Caulker to San Ignacio...say Mariposa Jungle Lodge? should we stop for lunch on the way, or wait for the yummies in San Ignacio? Or picnic along the way?

San Ignacio to Tikal. (Planning to do this with a tour guide)

San Ignacio to Belize City...same ...

One other question.....Since we are going in December, we are tempted to go to Hopkins (fly), not use a car down there, and then rent a car in Belize and go to San Ignacio/Tikai later in the week. With several snorkeling and sightseeing tours with a small group and a tour to the ruins down there, thinking we could cut drive time and be less involved with tourists. Good idea? We have two teens and parents with limited mobility.

Thank you so much!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive time between key spots

Drive time from rental car rental in Belize to Caye Caulker...would I leave the car on the mainland?

It probably isn't a good idea to start the car hire on the same day you go to Caye Caulker. You'll be wasting money on the hire while you're on CC, and you'll have to find somewhere safe to park it (which you may end up paying for).

Where are picking up the car, at the airport or in Belize City?

Use taxis in Belize City. If you arrive at the International airport, you can then fly to the cayes or get a taxi (BZ$50 or US$25) to the water taxi termnal in BC.

To answer your question, it's about 10 miles or a 20 minute drive from International airport to Belize City. If the rental company is located in the City, you can get to most other places in the City in under 10 minutes.

Caye Caulker to San Ignacio...

The water taxi from CC to BC is about an hour.

From BC to Belmopan, the drive is almost exactly 1 hour at the maximum speed limit.

It's about 37 km / 23 miles from Belmopan to San Ignacio, but the drive takes about 45 minutes because you can't drive the maximum all the way -- you have to slow down going through all the small towns/villages along the way.

San Ignacio to Tikal. (Planning to do this with a tour guide)

Are you planning to take a rental car out of Belize? If so, check with the rental company first. Not all companies allow cars to leave Belize -- Crystal is one that does, and you have to give them advance notice so they can prepare the paperwork. The drive is 2 to 3 hours.

San Ignacio to Belize City...

As above.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 18:14
Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive time between key spots

if your coming to hopkins fly into dangriga, you can do your snorkeling there, then head to cayo, which is inland, this is what i would do go to hopkins, enjoy a bit of the culture, do my snorkelngthere is a couple small islands only 45 min away, you could go out there and spend the day, snorkel at your own leisure, do the mayan ruin tour but do it as a tranfer. you can stay in cayo for a night then head to Caye Caulker, this way you won't even need to rent a car!!!!

Santa Ana...
Level Contributor
98 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive time between key spots

Thanks Blaine! Thos is an interesting idea...where would you stay in cayo!

4. Re: Drive time between key spots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 07:19