We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations please on towns, beaches, islands in Belize

Tennessee
Level Contributor
98 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations please on towns, beaches, islands in Belize

In January, I'm hoping to spend 7-9 days in some location that's warm, has beaches and is relaxing. My interests lie in history (museums, ruins, etc), lazing about on the beach, a little bit of shopping (local handicrafts). I like good food but am always happy to try local dishes (5 star restaurants are of NO interest to me). I'm not a party animal and I prefer a quiet area. My one hang up is that I want a very nice hotel to stay in. Preferably 4 star or better. Size of hotel doesn't matter. I can tell you tell you horror stories about hotels but I won't. On this trip, I prefer to stay at one hotel and not move from hotel to hotel. Yes, I know this is all very general but I am hoping for some recommendations on general geographic areas that just might be what I'm looking for. Recommendations pls.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations please on towns, beaches, islands in Belize

Placencia could be a good fit for you. Not party central like San Pedro, but does have some night life. Long stretches of beach, and a variety of good food options. Local crafts sold along the sidewalk. Now that the road is paved to Placencia, side trips to ruins and other mainland attractions are much easier.

Also, a range of accomodations including Roberts Grove and Turtle Inn which are both upscale and highly rated properties. Both are on quiet sections of beach outside of the main village.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 02:04
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations please on towns, beaches, islands in Belize

I'd split between Placencia, AC, and maybe a few nights in Cayo for the ruins. That would be easy if you did have the 9 days. It's really easy to get around since Belize is small. Chabil Mar is also a great choice in Placencia.

Enjoy!

3. Re: Recommendations please on towns, beaches, islands in Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:20