We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border Safety: Belize to Tikal and Mexico to Belize

Sacramento...
1 post
Save Topic
Border Safety: Belize to Tikal and Mexico to Belize

I am planning to go to Belize in March of next year and I heard it is cheaper to buy airfare to Cancun or Playa Del Carmen, then take a bus to the border town of Chetumal, followed by a bus ride to cross the border to the desired destination in Belize. What has been your experience crossing the Mexican/Belize border?? I heard there are no exit or entrance fees, but that the Mexican border authority has falsely asked travelers to pay up. What other things shall my family, friends and I be concerned about during this process?

I was also wondering how safe it is to cross the Belize/Guatemalan border near San Ignacio. I want to visit the ruins in the Tikal park, but have heard stories of the Mexican cartels creating a known presence in the area. I plan on looking up travel advisories before confirming plans, but first I would like to hear of any first-hand experiences with the crossing. My family and I (no children) plan on taking a bus to the border then transferring to a cab to the park or taking a bus straight to Tikal, whatever is more efficient.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Border Safety: Belize to Tikal and Mexico to Belize

No departure fees when leaving Mexico, but there is a tourist fee that must be paid. Assuming that you're flying from the USA to Cancun, that tourist fee (295 pesos or the equivalent in US$) should be included in the airline ticket price. The buses from Mexico to Belize now cross at a new bridge, so there's a new Immigration building. I haven't heard of any reports of the "departure fee" scam occurring at the new crossing. If asked to pay money, the tourist fee should be shown on your airline ticket as a code -- that won't guarantee that the Immigration officer will accept it.

No fees when entering Belize. There are fees when you leave Belize -- BZ$30 departure fee plus BZ$7.50 PACT fee payable in BZ$ or US$.

The crossing at the Belize-Guatemala border should be smooth. The Guatemalan officials might ask for money. I don't know if that fee is legitimate, but it's only a few dollars.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border Safety: Belize to Tikal and Mexico to Belize

No legitimate fee when entering Guate, but officially there is an Q80 ($10) departure tax.

There have been security issues along that route, but nothing I have heard of recently...ask border officials and/or tour operators for current info.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border Safety: Belize to Tikal and Mexico to Belize

Friend told me a funny story about border crossings today. Years ago the Western border between Belize and Guate was a rustic little outpost and way more casual than it is today (I walked across it back then w no stamp in or out on either side). My naive friend drove across in the same era. He stopped at the Belizean side and asked an official looking guy about border fees for the car...he said $50...which he paid. When asked for papers on the Guate side, he had none, and of course the guy he paid on the other side was long gone...some guy in Belize had a party that night. ;-)

Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border Safety: Belize to Tikal and Mexico to Belize

there is always a 3.00 us dollar fee to enter guatemala from either honduras or any other country, it is not a bride, it is legit, i pay it every time i cross the border on the bus from honduras into guatemala. This country is one of the safest and most honest for dealing with the government officials. so dont worry. you will really enjoy the easygoing way of the locals in Guatemala. WIM

Rio Dulce, Guatemala
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border Safety: Belize to Tikal and Mexico to Belize

there is always a 3.00 us dollar fee to enter guatemala from either honduras or any other country, it is not a bride, it is legit, i pay it every time i cross the border on the bus from honduras into guatemala. This country is one of the safest and most honest for dealing with the government officials. so dont worry. I have been living in Guatemala operating a Catamaran Charter service for a year, and have never been threatened or molested in any way, I have even traveled by local bus all the way to Costa Rica, with out any problem. come down and enjoy. WIM

6. Re: Border Safety: Belize to Tikal and Mexico to Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 02:05
Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Border Safety: Belize to Tikal and Mexico to Belize

Which boat do you run on the Rio?

8. Re: Border Safety: Belize to Tikal and Mexico to Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 07:18