We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Everything is almost booked, schedule made... but now I need to know what to do about money transactions...

Do most places take credit cards? Do I need to stop at a bank in BC (before driving to Hopkins) and get some BZD money before we travel? What are your thoughts.....

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,672 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Although I've not been to Hopkins, I've never been anywhere in Belize that doesn't accept US dollars. Last year was the first time we encountered signs saying that the bills must be in good condition, no tears or writing on them.

You will likely get change in Belize dollars. Don't bring anything larger than a US$20, unless you plan on paying for lodging or tours with cash.

I can't answer about credit cards in Hopkins, I would guess just like the rest of Belize, the larger places do take cards, the smaller ones don't.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

Ok thanks! I will plan on bringing US money then!!!! Thanks!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

If you need an ATM, it might be out of the way to go back to Belize City.

Belmopan is on the way to Hopkins, and you'll find one there.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Thanks Mister B. I am using discounted Belize Shuttle & Tours (from BC to Hopkins) so maybe they will stop on the way for me!!!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

That advice about good condition bills is serious. Central and South America have a problem with counterfiets. Hence the need for nice bills. One of the great shortages is change. Either they don't have it or want to hoard it. It's a regional thing. Try and buy a snack with a twenty and you might get very hungry.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

In Costa Rica same rule. I loved that the ATMs gave me old bills. Dirty trick to get rid of old bills

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

I don't think you should plan to travel with a big wad of US dollars anywhere. There are ATMs in Dangriga (near Hopkins) and I thought someone said that Hopkins has an ATM now.

8. Re: Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 05:18