We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize/Tikal itinerary for Nov 13-29

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Belize/Tikal itinerary for Nov 13-29

We are flying in and out of Belize City and I would like to run this itinerary by TA:

Nov 13 - fly in to Belize City leave immediately for San Ignacio

14-San Ignacio activities -- thinking about Black Rock Lodge ? any comments?

15-San Ignacio

16-San Ignacio

17-go to Tikal stay at one of the hotels at the park

18- Tikal

19-Go to somewhere else in Guatemala, or Hopkins or Placencia

20- Somewhere

21- ?

22-?

23- go to Caye Caulker for snorkeling, diving, hanging out, likely take a day to go to San Pedro - I am thinking of an apartment at Oasi

24-Caye Caulker

25- Caye Caulker

26-Caye Caulker

27-Caye Caulker

28- Caye Caulker

29- water taxi to Belize City or fly to Belize City to fly home

We like hiking the jungle looking for wildlife and my husband loves seeing the Mayan ruins. We are not really into just hanging on the beach too much, but we do like a little down time mixed in with snorkeling/diving. Would also love to do a day or even 1/2 a day of volunteering somewhere. We are into good food as well, and have taken cooking classes all over the world. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I know I need to start booking at least a few hotels since we will be getting into the high season at the end of the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Black Rock Lodge
Black Rock Lodge
1,039 Reviews
Black Rock, Belize
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,451 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
OASI
OASI
270 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,009 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize/Tikal itinerary for Nov 13-29

Sounds great to me!

Here are 2 caving trips I've loved (good from a San Ignacio-area base), the 1st really popular, the 2nd way off the beaten track:

http://pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

http://www.actunchapatadventure.blogspot.com/

You could add a day to the Guatemala portion to take in the Yaxhá Maya site, really lovely. Consider hiring my favorite guide, Roxy Ortiz:

www.tikalroxy.blogspot.com

I might choose Hopkins for my 'somewhere else' - lots of good hiking in the area and I love tapado (seafood soup). 2 favorite links there:

www.hopkinsinn.com

www.lebeha.com

Punta Gorda would be another interesting choice - we loved our tour of Eladio Pop's jungle cacao farm and there are few interesting Maya sites and villages in the area to visit. We're heading back here next spring:

www.hickatee.com

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
702 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Toledo District, Belize
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize/Tikal itinerary for Nov 13-29

Maybe more time in Cayo to see all the Mayan site there. Or near Altun Ha and Lamanai, either in Belize district or Orange Walk

Mentioned in this post
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
Lamanai Belize Tours
Lamanai Belize Tours
374 Reviews
Belize City, Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize/Tikal itinerary for Nov 13-29

While I am biased, I'd also think that more time would be needed in Cayo, and definitely less on Caulker. Placencia is nice, as is Hopkins. You can volunteer at PAWS cat sanctuary on Caulker. Black Rock is nice, yes. ATM and Caracol are 2 trips I highly recommend.

Mentioned in this post
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Black Rock Lodge
Black Rock Lodge
1,039 Reviews
Black Rock, Belize
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize/Tikal itinerary for Nov 13-29

thanks for the advice! I am thinking about switching it around. Maybe fly to Flores right away and then go to Tikal the next day to stay for at least a night on the grounds then go to San Ignacio/Cayo area. Any comments on that idea? I looked at Black Rock's website and it seems like it is far away from everything, do we need a car if we stay there? I am worried about just staying there and not being able to try restaurants around the town. The food at Black Rock does not seem really authentic. Any other suggestions?

We will definitely book ATM and Caracol when there.

Regarding PAWS, we are allergic to cats, otherwise that would be perfect. We can work with dogs though if there is a volunteer opportunity there.

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
Black Rock Lodge
Black Rock Lodge
1,039 Reviews
Black Rock, Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize/Tikal itinerary for Nov 13-29

For BRL, a vehicle is highly recommended. There is some great food around town, so you'd want to check out some of the restaurants. Check out http://bestofcayo.com for some ideas, and on TA too. Google 'jungle lodge san ignacio' for a decent list. DuPlooy's is great, as is Chaa Creek. There are some in Bullet Tree Falls and around Cristo Rey(like Macaw Bank) too. Windy Hill is also nice.

Mentioned in this post
Windy Hill Resort
Windy Hill Resort
327 Reviews
San Ignacio, Belize
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
22 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize/Tikal itinerary for Nov 13-29

Thanks. Chaa Creek and DuPlooys seem to fancy/expensive. I will look for a list.

7. Re: Belize/Tikal itinerary for Nov 13-29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 05:17