We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self guided fly fishing for bonefish

V S
Maine
2 posts
Save Topic
self guided fly fishing for bonefish

We are planning to go to Belize, and would like to fly fish for bonefish on our own. We may hire a guide for a day or 2 to go out in a flats boat, but enjoy doing it on our own and are experienced in various Bahamas islands, Florida. Looks like most folks go to Ambergris Caye or Placencia - What would be the best area to stay to be able to access wade fishing from shore? Any resources or maps on this issue?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self guided fly fishing for bonefish

Really great flyfishing - unguided even - at Tranquility Bay up on north Ambergris. You can snorkel from shore there, too.

www.tranquilitybayresort.com

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - we were there last summer (2012). Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self guided fly fishing for bonefish

In Placencia fishing from shore is going to be limiting. There are not any significant wadeable flats, like there are out at the atolls (world class fly fishing), there are a few docks and some areas ashore you could cast from.

One popular spot to fish from shore is the N cut into the harbor...never seen anyone fly fish it, but you could.

The canal running behind (W) of the village often has small jack feeding in it in the early evening. You could fish this from shore across from the old TMM base or near M&M fuel dock.

Locals fish from most publicly accesible docks with hand lines, you could cast from those too where there is room. Yolis dock is popuar for fishing...and some good sized grouper and snapper have been landed there on hand lines, but there is room to fly cast.

I have practiced fly casting off the dock at Paradise hotel and caught small snapper there. Ballyhoo also run around there and I have accidentally caught them there on fly...keep them to rig for trolling later.

If you rent a kayak then that would open up many more options. There is lots of shallow water around the approaches to the back lagoon and then of course the lagoon itself.

Via kayak you could fish Placencia Caye, there are snapper in the southern canal entrance, no problem going ashore to cast from the dock there. Also, the old Tranquilo bar (still closed I assume) hold fish around the docks and coral heads in the water there. Lots of big coral heads on the windward sides (N & E) of Placencia Caye, but you would have to fish them early in the AM as it gets rough when the sea breeze fills in.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: self guided fly fishing for bonefish

....and I went a little OCD on fly selection once and put together an Excel sheet which summarizes the recommendations of many guides/lodges by type/color/target species. PM me your email if you want a copy.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self guided fly fishing for bonefish

Also of note re: Tranquity Bay, there is a neighbor boy who is a fabulous fly fisherman and is willing to share his wisdom.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: self guided fly fishing for bonefish

Your excel sheet sounds great. Can you send?

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: self guided fly fishing for bonefish

This spreadsheet sounds brilliant! Could I get a copy?

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: self guided fly fishing for bonefish

If you stay at El Pescador, there are kayaks for their guests that are free both on the lagoon side and the ocean side. That would give you access to many many wading flats.

Edited: 07 April 2015, 00:48
San Clemente...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: self guided fly fishing for bonefish

We are also looking to fly fish from shore or kayak and are considering staying at Belizean Shores. Does anyone know if there are spots to fly fish at or near the resort accessible by foot or kayak?. We will be booking charters for deep sea and snorkeling but hoping to have some other self-guided options for when we are just hanging out...Thanks!

9. Re: self guided fly fishing for bonefish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2016, 05:17