We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on trip to Belize with kids

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on trip to Belize with kids

We will be in Belize for a (too-short) six days this fall. I have a reservation now for all six nights in Ambergris, and we were planning to do at least one day trip to the mainland.

I am wondering whether it would be better to go straight from the airport to a mainland destination (Lamanai area? somewhere near a zip line?), spend a night or two, and then head to Ambergris.

Is that a better idea than doing a day trip? Also, what mainland destination do you recommend that would not involve a ton of travel time to and from Belize City? We do not want to take a tiny plane anywhere (I know it would save us a ton of time, but we aren't gonna do it).

Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,838 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on trip to Belize with kids

Decide what you want to do. If for zip line, cave tubing, Mayan site or zoo, you can stay in the Belize district for overnight and include Altun Ha site. Or visit Lamanai and overnight at the lodge of the same name next to the site

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on trip to Belize with kids

Staying your 1st night at the zoo it should be easy to do a night and/or day tour plus a zipline or cave tubing activity, depending on the ages and adventure levels of your kids.

www.belizezoo.org

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
21 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on trip to Belize with kids

I would second the recommendation for staying at the zoo. We were in Belize in march with our 2 kids (ages 7 and 9). We did a little bit of everything including a day trip to the zoo. I wish that we would have planned for an overnight there. We had a private tour of the zoo with a zookeeper who carried around buckets filled with fresh food for the animals. My kids learned *so* much about the ecosystem and the native species in Belize. They were enthralled the whole time. They were even allowed to feed some of the animals themselves. The same day that we did the zoo, we also did cave tubing and zip lining. It was fabulous :) We're thinking about a return trip and that will definitely be on the "must do" list!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on trip to Belize with kids

Lamanai and the Belize Zoo are great, and the kids will love both.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on trip to Belize with kids

We did the boat trip to Lamanai with our kids, ages 10 and 13, in July. We booked it through the Hotel de la Fuente in Orange Walk, where we stayed. It was amazing. Not just the ruins (which the kids loved climbing) but the trip there - a very adventurous ride down the river in a small speed boat. We saw loads of birds, bats, iguanas and even a few crocodilles. The driver stopped at a sugar processing factory and swapped a Coke for a cup of freshly made sugar, which the kids loved tasting (of course).

I would recommend an overnight in Orange Walk, at least for the chance to go to Nahil Mayab, which many say is the best restaurant in all of Belize. We went there twice and were extremly satisfied. You could go from AC to OW in the early morning, take the Lamanai tour, sleep in OW, then head to the zoo and Nohoch Che'en for cave-tubing and zip-lining before heading back to AC in the evening of the second day. It would be an exhausting but extremely adventurous two days. Or you could spend a second night at the zoo and do the zoo in the morning before heading back to AC.

I would recommend renting a car for all of this, though.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on trip to Belize with kids

Don't know how old your kids are but one of the favs of my kids is Caves Branch Jungle Lodge.

They even have tree houses.

It's safe, beautiful and there's a lot to do in that area.

…amazingbelize.com/Hotel/Ian_Andersons_Caves…

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on trip to Belize with kids

Here are 2 links to look into for things to pack along:

Laminated wildlife identification cards: rainforestpublications.com/belizeFieldGuides…

A very cool checklist book for Belize for the young or young-at-heart: amazon.com/Play-Belize-Mesa-Somer/…

8. Re: Advice on trip to Belize with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 06:23