We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help

Cavan
14 posts
Save Topic
Please Help

Hi everyone,

We are going on honeymoon in Dec and hope to spend Christmas and new years in Belize.

We are from Ireland and Belize isnt as popular as other countries however thats why we would like to go. I want to know should we mix Belize with somewhere else for the 2nd week, and also where is the best location to stay in Belize, we would be looking at somewhere that as a good selection of fine dining, beautiful views and beauty spots.

I would be so grateful for your help.

Thank you

Lincoln
Level Contributor
61 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help

Sounds like Ambergris Caye would fit your bill,you could mix that with a side trip to Tikal in Guatemala in the second week.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help

For Christmas - New Years, you better book very soon...that is the peak of the peak season and things book up early.

Personally with only 2 weeks, and a long international flight, I would just focus on Belize and minimize travel time, but that depends upon your travel style.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help

You can easily spend two weeks in Belize and include a few nights over the border in Guatemala visiting Tikal and other Maya sites and get a taste of Guatemala. Belize has the largest barrier reef in our hemisphere for grt diving, snorkelling, fishing, sailing and kayaking and jungle covered mainland with Mayan sites, caves with artefacts, waterfalls, river and horse trips, zip lines and rappelling, botanic gardens and butterfly farms, diverse friendly English speaking population

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help

You might want to do some more homework on Belize to see if this really fits your wants. We made our first trip in May and while we had a fabulous time, it definitely isn't for everyone. We split our 12 days between Caye Caulker and Ambergris. Both islands are very flat, so the only beautiful view you get is of the water (no complaints here). The beaches are not really swimming beaches as there is LOTS of sea grass. Both places we stayed (and most properties) are across the road (sand) from the waterfront. As far as fine dining, we had a few very good meals, but I wouldn't put them in the 'fine dining' catagory (we are foodies). One of the meals we caught ourselves and a small restaurant prepared our catch for us. It was very good. We are divers/snorkelers and enjoyed one half day of fishing too. We went to Belize for the water actitivies, all of which required a boat. When we go back we will split our time between the mainland (Planencia) and Caye Caulker. We didn't do any of the land tours/activities due to the time involved getting to them from where we stayed. ie: 7-8 hours traveling time to get to & from (boat & bus) to spend 1 - 1 1/2 hours at ruins or cave tubing, etc. So next trip we will start on the mainland doing land activities and the second half on Caye Caulker doing water activites. Hope this helps a little.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
203 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help

Congrats! I think Belize would be a great place to spend a two-week honeymoon. After all the excitement of getting married why rush around on your honeymoon? Belize is beautiful and you can relax and explore easily for two weeks without getting bored.

I'd suggest a week inland staying at one of the many fabulous jungle lodges, exploring the rainforest, ruins and caves, then a week on an island. Ambergris if you want action and nightlife, maybe Turneffe Atoll if you want more quiet.

6. Re: Please Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 05:19