We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Toronto to Belize

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Toronto to Belize

Hi There,

We're looking to go to Belize in November but can't seem to find any direct flights from Toronto. The last few years it looks like Sunwing did direct flights. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if these flights/trips just haven't been released yet or if Sunwing (or any of the other airlines) is planning to fly direct to Belize.

Another option I thought of would be to go to Roatan direct then fly to Belize from there? Most of the connecting flights I'm seeing have really long stopovers.

Thanks!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,955 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Toronto to Belize

I don't know about the Sunwing flights (except that they currently don't fly to Belize), but here's another option...

Toronto to Cancun with Air Canada or Westjet (both direct), then fly to Belize City with Tropic Air (a Belizean airline). There are also bus options from Cancun to Belize -- let me know if you want info about that.

I'm assuming that you already know about the US airlines that fly from Toronto to Belize. In my experience, any stopover has been less than a few hours.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Toronto to Belize

Going to Roatan will add at least 2 1/2 hours to your itinerary.

See if you can find flights to meet your schedule on TACA. They may be listed under LACSA and/or Avianca, which are essentially the same airline. From Toronto the layover time in San Salvador is less than 40 minutes. I've done it (and am doing it again in 10 days) and it's no problem. Going home it's about 1:40 which is perfect for me.

Edited: 26 September 2013, 18:24
Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Toronto to Belize

We are flying Delta from Toronto to Atlanta to Belize with an hour and a bit between flights going. Unfortunately, coming home, it's a longer wait (4 hours). But this was the best connection I could find when I booked a couple of months ago. Will be there soon (Oct. 5th)!!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,861 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Toronto to Belize

Customs and Immigration in Atlanta can easily take two hours. Having a four hour layover on your return may not seem so long.

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Toronto to Belize

Hope it doesn't take 2 hours on our way there. I expect, since we are in transit, we would only clear customs once, at our destination? It has been a long time since we flew through the U.S. (we try to avoid it and obviously have been successful). Usually we clear U.S. customs at Toronto Airport before boarding (unless something has changed). We'll find out. Very much looking forward to our time in AC , and hoping the weather forecasts are wrong. I'm trying not to check them!! LOL!

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Toronto to Belize

When departing YYZ, you'll go through US Customs and your bags will be checked through to Belize. You will not have to go through security again in Atlanta.

On your return flight, Delta may check your bags through to Toronto (they are doing that for selected airports and I think Atlanta may be one) but you will have to go through US Customs as if you are staying in the US. No such thing as 'in transit' on the return. It is a giant pain in the butt, imo, and is one of the main reasons we go through Mexico or El Salvador when ever possible. ...and the Sunwing direct flights were a dream! Too bad they couldn't make Belize work for them.

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from Toronto to Belize

Thanks Hon. We had to do that a long time ago coming home through Miami and it IS a big pain. In that case we had to collect our bags and then get drop them off again, even thought they had been tagged all the way to Toronto. A really big pain. One of the reasons we try to avoid going through the US. But we used points for our flights and this was the best connection, so we'll just suck it up! 2 weeks in Belize will make up for it, I'm sure!!

8. Re: Flights from Toronto to Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:18