We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earlier bus available Cancun to Belize?

colorado springs...
Level Contributor
34 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Earlier bus available Cancun to Belize?

Been reading a lot about the ADO bus (at night) from Cancun to Belize. We are arriving in Cancun at 1:00pm and don't want to wait around until 10:30pm to head south. Would it be a better idea to take the bus from the airport to Playa, on to Chetumal then across the border. Our first Belize destination is Corozol. Is this route longer, less direct? More expensive? Thanks so much for any help. The ADO web site is a bit difficult to navigate.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earlier bus available Cancun to Belize?

I think your idea of heading from the airport to Playa, then on to Chetumal is a good one. If memory serves, if you want a first class bus from Playa to Chetumal, you'll have to get yourselves from one bus station to another in Playa. They aren't far apart, but, with luggage, I'd take a cab.

There is frequent bus service to Chetumal. Once there, you can either change to a Belize bus, take a cab, or arrange a transfer to Corozal.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Earlier bus available Cancun to Belize?

If you don't want to wait for the overnight bus to Belize, then get the ADO Riviera airport shuttle bus to Playa -- they leave approximately hourly, cost about 110 pesos, and the trip takes about 1 hour.

Playa has 2 bus terminals and the airport bus terminates at the terminal on 5th Ave. The express bus to Chetumal departs from the other terminal at 12th & 20th. BUT, on some trips I've done, the airport bus has stopped at the other terminal on the way to the 5th Ave terminal. If you can recognize the 12th & 20th terminal, you can get off there -- that will save the cost of a taxi to change terminals.

Express buses to Chetumal leave Playa approximately every couple of hours and the trip takes 4.5 hours. I forget the fare -- it's something like 250 pesos.

I'd guess that you would arrive in Chetumal sometime after 8pm. At that time of night, there are no buses between Chetumal & Corozal. You could get to the border by taxi (70 pesos), cross over and then get a Belizean bus (BZ$1) or taxi (BZ$20) to Corozal. A more expensive option would be to arrange to be met in Chetumal by one of the transfer services.

There is only one ADO express bus from Cancun to Belize, and it doesn't stop at Chetumal. If you waited in Cancun to get that bus, you would arrive in Corozal around 3 or 4 am.

There's a website called BelizeBus with more details of the ADO express buses.

Edited: 04 October 2013, 14:35
colorado springs...
Level Contributor
34 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earlier bus available Cancun to Belize?

Thank you so much for the detailed replies, very helpful. I feel much more comfortable leaving earlier instead of waiting until 10;30 PM.

4. Re: Earlier bus available Cancun to Belize?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2013, 15:15
5. Re: Earlier bus available Cancun to Belize?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Belize