We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this make sense?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,052 posts
815 reviews
Save Topic
Does this make sense?

As this will be our first trip to Belize, it is a bit hard to reconcile the various opinions on the "best" places to stay. There is obviously more than one answer to such a question as everybody defines "best" differently.

So, not being very familiar with the various places, our plan is the following. We would spend the first 8-9 days in Caye Caulker, move to San Ignacio for 5 days or so for inland activities then finish with 8-9 days in Placencia for more water activities and relaxing.

For Caye Caulker and Placencia, I am thinking of booking a place for the first 2-3 days only then once I get there I can walk around and see if I can find something better or more to our taste (or maybe just add some variety).

We will be there from mid-November to mid-December. Does this make sense or is it a risky proposal?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this make sense?

Sounds like a good plan to me, especially if you don't mind moving around.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this make sense?

I'm a prebooker. I like the idea of maintaining flexibility and maybe cutting costs by booking all/part of my stays on the road, but in practice I research, fall in love with the idea of specific great value, well reviewed places, and book them. I have not once been sorry.

One advantage of the longer stays (as opposed to booking a few days and moving) is that many place will cut a deal for a stay of a week or longer. Not on the beach, but perfect for us for a week summer of 2012:

http://oneworldplacencia.com/

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,961 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this make sense?

We stayed at Seaside Cabanas on CC in May for 6 nights. It was our first trip. We had also considered another property, before deciding on Seaside, but once we arrived we were so happy with our choice. We traveled with my sister & her hubby. They had room #2 and we had #18. We will definitely stay there again. Just a FYI, it was full everyday we were there, but really didn't seem crowded. Most people had reservations, but the few rooms that would open up were taken by late morning by people just walking in.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
730 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this make sense?

I can only comment on Placencia as we visited it last year in early December. There were a few rooms available here and there. In my experience, 1st to 15th Dec is considered to be a low season so fewer tourists and better deals on accommodation. Having said that, I like to book in advance.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,052 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this make sense?

Thanks for the points of view.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this make sense?

I think that long on Caulker is much too long. You'll see most of the island on your first day. I'd also check out AC while you're out there. While down south, maybe check out Hopkins and PG too.

Belize City, Belize
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does this make sense?

Depending on the time of yr pre booking is a must on the islands I think!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does this make sense?

I've gone to both Caulker and Placencia in March without reservations. Never had a problem finding a place to stay. However, if you have a specific place in mind, you'd be better off reserving.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does this make sense?

JP, makes perfect sense to me, in fact this is what I usually do myself if I have never been someplace before. You should have no problem shopping around before Dec 13. If you decide to stay with your first pick, you can ask if they will give you a discount to extend your stay. You could also find, as Dr.FA says, that you have planned too long a stay in one location and want to move on early or hear about an "awesome" place you want to add to your itinerary; it is nice to have that option

10. Re: Does this make sense?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 07:17