We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect repellent

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,775 posts
826 reviews
Save Topic
Insect repellent

My girlfriend seems to have an attractive blood flavour as she always gets tons of insect bites while I get none.

Is there a particular brand of insect repellent that people have found effective in Belize (for sand fleas or mosquitoes) or alternatively, one that seems to have no impact?

We will be traveling all over Belize.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,696 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insect repellent

I like Ultrathon and the Sawyer's Controlled Release Deet products.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
281 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insect repellent

Deep woods OFF always does the trick for me.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insect repellent

I go with the least amount of Deet possible. I start with something like Skintastic, I think it's only 10% Deet. Most of the time that's all it takes. I spend most of my Belize time on Ambergris, and the mosquitoes are usually only problematic at dusk.

I've read several times that higher concentrations of Deet aren't any more effective, they just last longer. I do use stronger concentrations if I'm going to be hiking in jungly areas on the mainland.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,775 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insect repellent

Thanks for the feedback.

5. Re: Insect repellent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 05:18