We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you experience Belize in 8 days and on a budget?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Can you experience Belize in 8 days and on a budget?

My husband and I have the travel itch again, only this time he wants to go someplace under 8 hours travel time...which lead me to the exotic Belize...I love the idea if relaxing on the beach for half my trip and exploring Mayan ruins-is this possible in an 8 day trip ? Does anyone have a tried and true itinerary-filled with zip lines, caves and beaches?? I'm not familiar with how to get around there, so details and town suggestions-travel time/options would be lots of help!! Oh we're planning on visiting the beginning of June and were both 30...thanks-I look forward to all the suggestions and appreciate the help!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,231 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you experience Belize in 8 days and on a budget?

Sounds like you need a guidebook! I like the Moon Handbook, Fodor’s Guide, and Explorer’s Guide. They give you background context, suggested itineraries, and specifics and you can fill in with Trip Advisor and this forum once you have a better idea of your plan.

In a nutshell, yes, that works; lots of folks start inland (San Ignacio area is popular and we also like Toledo District in the south) and end up on the water. Here's an old forum post about the beach options.

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

If you'd rather stick to 1 spot you can do day trips from the cayes/beach places but it means more time on the road.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy planning!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you experience Belize in 8 days and on a budget?

Yes!! I was in Belize last December for 8 days and had a blast! We split the trip up and did half in San Ignacio - stayed at Parrot Nest Lodge- and did cave tubing, mountain pine ridge, and a trip to Tikal for the ruins. Then we went and took a water taxi to Caye Caulker where we did scuba diving, snorkeling, fly fishing, etc. LOVED LOVED LOVED it all.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you experience Belize in 8 days and on a budget?

Also- here is a blog post I did about our trip- hopefully it helps you out! Happy planning!

…blogspot.com/2013/10/8-days-in-belize.html

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,231 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you experience Belize in 8 days and on a budget?

Enjoyed the blog, Melissa. Any luck flyfishing?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you experience Belize in 8 days and on a budget?

Many thanks!! I was worried we would be limited, but it looks like if you plan well and hit up trip advisor for tips 8 days in Belize will be BLISS! Thanks for the tips and great blog!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you experience Belize in 8 days and on a budget?

THANKS-Great pics-I think we will aim for several days in the jungle/ruins/cave then head out to beach area as suggested....Haven't decided on details yet, but this put me in the right direction-thanks!!

7. Re: Can you experience Belize in 8 days and on a budget?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 06:18