We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on jungle/Maya

Oslo
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on jungle/Maya

Hi.

Hi there.

We are two girls in our early 30s going for a 16-day trip to Belize starting Dec 29th. We have booked first 4 nights in Caye Caulker, then Friday 3rd or Saturday 4th Jan we are thinking maybe heading south towards Hopkins before we leave on the 8th from Dangriga to spend 5 nights at Thatch Caye. Hence we have 4 or 5 nights between caye caulker and Thatch caye to spend and we would like to experince a real jungle adventure and a Maya ruins site. Any suggestions as to places to stay and area/sites to visit? We've been to Costa Rica before (Corcovado), and saw lost of wildlife i primary and secondary rainforest, I'm a bit worried Belize will be a disappointment in compairson. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
280 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on jungle/Maya

16 days in Belize, you are sure to have a great time!

If you are staying in Hopkins some fun things to do nearby are:

1. Zipline and waterfall rappelling

2. Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve - river tubing/waterfalls and Jungle Hike

Further west cayo:

1. Xunantunich Mayan Ruins

2. ATM CAves

Hopkins is a lovely traditional village filled with culture, another location further south is Placencia (Monkey River Tour out of Placencia is pretty fun too).

Hope Belize doesn't disappoint, however while some wildlife is often seen on tours it is not guarantee you will see them all the time.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on jungle/Maya

Right off the bat I'd say it's not a good thing to head into a trip with the thought of comparing; that's like planning ahead to be disappointed. I'd plan your trip with a focus on Belize's unique offerings and then plan to enjoy it. For what it's worth, we love Belize and have zero interest in Costa Rica because our travel priorities aren't CR's strengths (diversity of cultures, contemporary and ancient Maya culture, incredible caving, and easy access to great snorkeling and diving).

I'd head to Cayo District and then do an overnight trip to Tikal; it's 1 of the premier Maya sites in the world and the surrounding jungle adds to the interest and mystique. Consider hiring Roxy Ortiz; I love her tours so much I schedule my visits based on her availability.

www.tikalroxy.blogspot.com

ATM cave and Belize Zoo are 2 other unique things about Belize.

www.pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

http://www.belizezoo.org

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
731 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on jungle/Maya

We stayed at a jungle lodge in the Orange Walk district last December. It was called the Lamani Outpost Lodge and located about 10 minutes walk to the Lamanai Mayan temples. We saw lots of wildlife like howler monkeys, toucans, crocodiles etc. The staff were so friendly and food just amazing, fresh and home cooked. In addition, the lodge offered 2 complimentary activities a day, eg canoeing, night river safari, Mayan culture experience etc.

We got there by boat after a short transfer by car from the Belize International airport. It was an exciting experience as the river was teeming with wildlife.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on jungle/Maya

Hi!

I was there last December with a friend of mine and we loved Belize! I am jealous you have so much time! We were only there for 8 days- but could have easily spent more time there- especially Caye Caulker!

For the few days you have in between, head inland and go to San Ignacio. **Stay at Parrot Nest Lodge** and then you can go to Guatemala one day and visit the ruins at Tikal, go cave tubing another day and then do mountain pine ridge another day!

Have a blast!

Oslo
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on jungle/Maya

Thanks to all of you for your input and excellent suggestions. I am sure we will have an awesome time in Belize :))

6. Re: Advice on jungle/Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:18