We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

Halifax, Nova Scotia
4 posts
Save Topic
Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

I am a 47 year old female Canadian planning to visit Belize in January 2014. I love to dive, hike and spa...that will be the focus of this relaxing trip. My only concern is around safety while travelling alone. I know there is crime everywhere and I'm prepared to take normal precautions, use common sense, etc. Just hoping to hear from others who might have visited recently or live there now, what should I expect? what should I avoid? and any helpful advice. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
281 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

Belize is a very safe country overall, I would simply stay away from Belize City and you should be good. While living in Placencia I would take long walks at night after work and always felt very safe (sometimes after 10pm) so you shouldn't have any problem.

You might find a hustler here or there but nothing out of the ordinary. If you go hiking it might be best if you join a tour group rather than taking on a trail on your own.

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

I've traveled to Ambergris Caye several times by myself. I always felt safe. But, I was never out late, and I don't walk the beach at night.

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

I've felt safe traveling in Belize, using common sense. Usually I'm with friends or family but I've enjoyed the solo times, too.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,361 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

Ditto. Use common sense. You will meet others for tours and probably be invited to join them for dining and roving

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

Ditto to all of the above. Just a short mention about Caribbean men: As you walk by, they may say things like "Pretty baby" "Sexy body". Don't feel that you have done something wrong or it is your clothing that attracts these remarks. That's how it is. Rather than ignore them, it is better to be formally polite and say : "Good Morning", "Good afternoon", "Good evening" (after 4:00 is evening) or "Goodnight" ( after dark you greet people this way, rather than to say good bye ) and walk on. Many people wear dreadlocks and if they are in an established business, it is just a hairstyle. If they approach you - it is a hustle. The only Rasta man I have met yet (12 years) is Gomier who has a vegetarian restaurant in Punta Gorda. (highly recommended).

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Toledo District, Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

Potlikka nailed it. If a Rasta is at a business, they are the cool ones, and many people call them a 'trustafarian.' The 'rastas' that sell themselves as that and approach you, aren't real Rastas, and are usually hustlers. It's pretty safe. Remember situational awareness is the key...along with the aforementioned common sense. Have a fun vacation!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,924 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

My husband calls the latter kind "Rastafakians". ;-)

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

Hahahaha! That is classic! I'll pass that along, for sure.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I appreciate it. You've given me a comfort level. Looking forward to the trip! Cheers!

Clarkston...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Woman travelling alone to Belize...safe?

Hi. I am taking my 18 year old niece to belize in august as a high school graduation present. I am a 48 year old woman. Any suggestions on itinerary or precautions. Also recommendations for where in Belize to go would be great.