We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamanai Ruins and river tour

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Lamanai Ruins and river tour

hi people. Please tell me your feedback on this tour from Ambergris Caye. Looking for a quality day trip to grab a piece of the mainland. Any thoughts are appreciated. Gracias

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamanai Ruins and river tour

I think it's a great tour. Long day though. Live at 7am, don't get back until around 6pm. On the boat ride to the mainland, I've occasionally seen dolphins. At the mouth of the river, often have seen manatees.

Transfer to a bus/van for a 45 minute ride through the countryside. Some trips we've spotted a jabiru (very large stork).

Then, another boat ride up the river. Lots of crocodiles, birds, turtles. Beautiful ride, especially if you get a good guide who can spot the birds and such.

Lunch on site at Lamanai then a tour of the ruins. We used to see toucans, but, not the last couple of times that I've gone. We've always seen howler monkeys. The ruins themselves are awesome. Very, very old. Lots of shade. Lots of birds.

Rum punch and Belikin on the way home. Somewhere in there, can't remember if it's coming or going, a stop to feed bananas to some friendly spider monkeys.

I've always gone with Tanisha Tours. http://tanishatours.com/

There's also the option to fly part of the way. You do save some time, but, more expensive.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamanai Ruins and river tour

Wow. Thanks Jean!! That does sound good. Now I have to convince the others, ha. One of us gets a little sick from boat rides, yikes. Gravol maybe or those wrist bands with the pressure points?? I will certainly check out the other operator, appreciate that option Jean. Counting the days until we leave on the 28th of January!! So excited!! Have a great day!!

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamanai Ruins and river tour

We did this trip recently, with two kids. It was very enjoyable, but it involves a LOT of time on a loud, windy boat. I thought that the boat ride up the river would be slow and peaceful, but it was not.

The ruins were neat, though, and we saw some monkeys and cool birds.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamanai Ruins and river tour

You can fly instead of taking the boat. I love the 1.5 hrs boat ride on he New River into the Lagoon, but I can understand not have the time or patience for the longish journey by boat/road/boat

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamanai Ruins and river tour

Hi shan _ I used to get sick flying ,boating, driving . Tried everything Gravol wrist bands etc. THEN i discovered Transderm. It is a patch you put behind your ear. The best cure i have ever found try it. We did the tour last year from Orange walk. The river boat ride is long (24 miles), but interesting. Loved the ruins ,but felt a bit rushed at the site. Worth the day out.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lamanai Ruins and river tour

Thank you so much for that suggestion. This may save the day!!

7. Re: Lamanai Ruins and river tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 05:18