We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize, Roatan or Aruba???

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Belize, Roatan or Aruba???

We are starting to plan our next vacation and curious to see if any of you have been to any of the following (Belize, Honduras, or Aruba). If so, what did you think? If you have been to more than one of these places, which place did you like best? Thanks in advance.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize, Roatan or Aruba???

I only spent a few days in Aruba, en route to Bonaire. Not my kind of place. I know people love it, but, it felt too much like south Florida to me (I have nothing against south Florida, just not when I'm paying to be in the Caribbean). Too many franchise hotels and restaurants. Too Americanized for my personal taste.

I live in Belize part of the year. Love it hear. Aruba's beaches are better, what are you main interests for your trip?

I've never been to Roatan. High on my list though. It sounds somewhat similar to Ambergris Caye, although the beaches are better.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize, Roatan or Aruba???

Thankyou. I think its now between Roatan and Ambergris Caye. Is it difficult to get to Ambergris Caye? From what I've been reading it sounds like a hike from the airport....

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize, Roatan or Aruba???

I have been to Roatan, nice laid back, small hotels, great beach that you can snorkel from. Fly directly there.

I've not been to Ambergries but from my research it is busier with much larger resorts. Takes about an hour by water taxi from Belize city.

I am heading to Caye Caulker in a couple days, it is laid back.

I have not been to Aruba.

It depends what you are looking for in your stay really.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize, Roatan or Aruba???

Larger resorts may be a relative term. I'm guessing the largest resort(s) on Ambergris will have about 50 rooms. Nothing like the truly large, 1000+, room resorts in Mexico or other places.

The water taxi from Belize City to Ambergris Caye takes 75-90 minutes. The flight is about 15 minutes. We consider the extra money spent for the flight to be dollars well spent.

5. Re: Belize, Roatan or Aruba???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:18