We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights/days in Belize March 8-14

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Topic

Hi all, my BF & I booked flights to Belize arriving there on March 8th at approximately 4PM. we haven't booked a hotel, but would love to do the following things:

1. Diving, and more diving

2. Seeing/diving the Blue Hole

3. Snorkeling and swimming

4. Checking out the ruins and the wildlife

I’m wondering if we should stay at different places throughout our short trip. Especially since there is quite a distance between some places. E.g. the San Pedro, Ambergris Caye,

Questions:

- Should we stay 1 or 2 nights in Belize city (if good to stay there) do we need to rent a car from here or at the airport?

- Any recommendations for where to stay in Belize City, by the beach?

- Should we just stick with Ambergris Caye and not go to Placencia caye?

- Where should we stay at Ambergris Caye with great beach access and snorkeling off beach($200-300/night)

- Any recommendations for a responsible and reliable diving company? We both have had almost 10 dives so far. But my BF would need to get his Open water certificate there as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys and THANK YOU for your help!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,499 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights/days in Belize March 8-14

The Blue Hole is NOT a beginner's dive. It's not the place to be diving with only a few dives under your belt. Reputable dive companies would not be willing to take you. You can go there and snorkel, but, it's a long and fairly expensive boat ride.

There are no beaches very close to Belize City. You really don't want to stay there. If you plan on doing things for moe than one day on the mainland, I would stay somewhere in/around San Ignacio. My Belize time is mostly on Ambergris, I'll let someone else recommend places to stay on the mainland.

Normally, I'd recommend heading inland first and then heading to the beach, but, with a short trip and the fact that you can't dive for 24 hours before you fly, it might be better to start off on the beach.

The only resort on Ambergris where you can easily swim to the reef and snorkel is Tranquility Bay on far north Ambergris. To be honest I'd be surprised if they have availability at this late date. You could stay somewhere else and kayak to the reef for snorkeling.

Placencia is 19 miles from the reef. Will make for long boat rides to dive sites. Ambergris is less than a mile from the reef.

Just as an aside, Placencia is not a caye, it's a peninsula.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,701 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights/days in Belize March 8-14

I agree with everything above and would like to add:

:: Avoid staying in Belize City if possible.

:: Choose between Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker; we loved Tranquility Bay but it's more secluded than you'd want to be to enjoy a variety of eating spots and to access inland activities. Plus it's unlikely to have space just 2 weeks out.

http://www.tranquilitybayresort.com/

:: Dive company depends in part on where you're staying. As above, I'd cross the Blue Hole off your list for this trip since it's an advance dive and neither of you are advanced divers.

:: With only 6 nights, I think I'd stay in 1 spot and consider a (long) day trip to the Lamanai Maya site; it would mean water taxi or flight, road trip, boat trip up the New River (monkeys, crocs, birds), and lunch and a tour of the Maya site before doing the reserve. We were staying on the mainland when we visited 4 years ago but much of this old blog post would apply.

…blogspot.com/2009/08/new-river-and-maya-rui…

We're flying in the 13th but heading straight to southern Belize so won't cross paths. Happy planning!

San Francisco...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights/days in Belize March 8-14

Thanks a bunch for both very informative posts. well, as predicter Tranquility Bay has no availability!

so now i'm looking at other places to stay in Ambergris or San Pedro (which i believe is a bit more lively). Any other recoomendations for hotels in both places? Given that the 2 locations are fairly close, any recommendations for a dive shop? BTW< thanks for telling us not to waste time and $ on the Blue Hole just yet, we will definitely try it when we are more experienced :)

Also, how do we get to these places, would hotels ususlly provide transportation?

Thanks again

4. Re: 6 nights/days in Belize March 8-14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 06:17