We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

Hi, all - we're thinking of staying at LOL for a future trip. If you've stayed there, which tours/activities did you do? What were your favorites, and were there any you would or would not do again? Thanks for your help. It looks like a neat place.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,765 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

The site

Night spotlight tour

hiking

canoeing in the lagoon

Grt choice; fabulous views of the lagoon

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

Thanks, Katie - how many days would you spend here? I was thinking maybe three or four?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,878 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

We spent 3 nights there last week and really enjoyed it. Did a sunset cruise on the lagoon, Lamanai archaeological site, night walk, sunrise canoe trip on the lagoon and up Dawson Creek, night spotlight tour and our favorite: the medicine trail with a brief cooking lesson and lunch in the village. The last was very low key but we learned a lot about the community and local plants. The guides were all great. We didn't take the airboat tour which goes into the backwaters hunting crocodiles but talked to several others that really loved it. No need to book the individual tours in advance. We arranged it all after we arrived.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

Thanks, crfan; we were leaning towards 3 days. All of the tours sound really interesting. I didn't realize that the medicine trail involved cooking and lunch in the village - thanks for the details. Were there any that you wouldn't do again? What kind of wildlife did you see on your tours? Glad you had such a great time.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,878 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

Lamanai is a serious birding destination. Everything from jabiru storks and vultures down to tiny hummingbirds. The guides were all excellent for birders, although we're not at all serious about birding. We heard howler monkey troops every day and had a family unit in the tree right next to our cabana one afternoon. Saw crocodiles, a kinkajou, frogs, toads, iguanas, bats but not many mammals. The guides reported that there are jaguars in this area but your odds of seeing one are minimal. On the night walk saw lots of creepy crawlies- scorpion, tarantula, crab spider, scorpion spiders, and other insects. Missed the scarlet macaws that are often spotted in late afternoon near the Spanish church.

For the medicine trail tour you can do it with or without lunch but you really should do the lunch and brief cooking lesson in the village. The little restaurant in the village is run by a women's cooperative and they are all great cooks.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

Wow, perfect. My husband is more interested in birds than I am, but I'm always thrilled to see any wildlife. Thanks for much for all your help.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

I liked canoeing and the Lamanai excursion. A couple next door did the early morning bird tour, and ended up helping to save a turtle that was laying eggs, and laid a bunch in the boat and when they brought it back to help it. Neat!

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

Wow, that's amazing. I definitely have seeing the ruins on my list. Do most people eat all of their meals at the lodge? How close it to town - walk or drive?

I think the croc tour sounds like something we would really enjoy too.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

I was also curious - are the tours like the nature walk at a set time, or can you book it for whenever you want to go? This place looks like a lot of fun.

Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lamanai Outpost Lodge Tours/Activities?

Just wanted to report back - we're back from our trip and loved Lamanai Outpost Lodge. We did the ruins, sunset cocktail cruise, jungle dawn tour, spotlight safari, medicine trail, and the nature walk. crfan, we did end up doing the cooking lesson, and we loved it. I'm craving some Salbutes right now! All of our guides were wonderful, and we saw howlers every day while we were there. Awesome place!