We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I stay?

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Topic
Where should I stay?

I'll be spending 8 days in Belize by myself in late April. Here's what I want to do:

* 3-4 days on the beaches (just relaxing, snorkeling, maybe a dive). Definitely the bulk of the trip.

* Really want to walk around one or two Mayan sites.

* A day or two exploring the jungle, birdwatching, or hiking through a wildlife sanctuary.

If I want to do all of this in just 8 days, what part of the country makes the most logistical sense for me to get a hotel?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I stay?

I'd split your trip. Spend a few nights in/around San Ignacio for jungle, caves, Mayan sites. Then, head to one of the beaches, my personal favorite is Ambergris Caye, but, there's also Caye Caulker, Hopkins and Placencia.

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I stay?

That sounds like a pretty good idea.

Any hotel recs in either of those spots? Would love to spend less than $70 USD a night. Thank you!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I stay?

Cayo and Placencia is what I'd recommend. Definitely split it up. I recommend Bullet Tree and Cristo Rey areas a lot(I am biased, haha). TA has a great list of places, and Moonracer is on top...

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I stay?

belizeexplorer.com for room US$75.00 and under

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I stay?

I'd stick with TA for budget places too. One pays to be on belizeexplorer, so it's severely lacking.

Washington DC...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should I stay?

Thanks both. Am I missing anything if I don't stay in Belize City?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should I stay?

I don't think you are missing ANYTHING at all by not staying in Belize City. All of the activities you mentioned can best be enjoyed in the locations mentioned by the previous posts. Happy planning and hope you love Belize a much as we do

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should I stay?

Friends don't let friends stay in BC. Nothing, really.

9. Re: Where should I stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 04:16