We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On a 10 trip - what to do with an "extra" day

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
On a 10 trip - what to do with an "extra" day

My fiance and I are going to Belize in May. We're going to spend 4 days in Cayo, then do an overnight to Tikal. We leave Tikal on Saturday morning, then on Sunday we start our stay on Ambergris. We will be leaving our rental car at our hotel in San Ignacio, take a shuttle to/from Tikal then pick up our rental car at the hotel on Saturday. Since we have to drop the rental car off at the Belize airport Sunday morning before heading to Ambergris, my thought was to spend Saturday night in the Belize City area. But I'm not sure how to spend Saturday afternoon or where to stay Saturday night. Any suggestions would be apprciated!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
851 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On a 10 trip - what to do with an "extra" day

My first thought was if you have an extra day, to spend it at Tikal. But if you are paying for a rental car and leaving it, I could see that as not being as good of an option.

On Saturday, you could take a side trip to the Blue Hole National Park, it's just a short detour from Belmopan.

Or closer to BC, is the ruins of Altun Ha. Kinda anti climatic after Tikal, but still worth seeing.

There is always the Zoo, if you haven't been there yet.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On a 10 trip - what to do with an "extra" day

I would have said Tikal, too - if you haven't already rented the car you might want to rethink. We enjoyed staying at the zoo - another good thought.

www.belizezoo.org

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On a 10 trip - what to do with an "extra" day

Another vote for the Tropical Education Center at the Belize Zoo.

4. Re: On a 10 trip - what to do with an "extra" day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 06:16