We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to travel after Belize?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to travel after Belize?

I'll be getting married in Ambergris Caye and wanted to know if anyone has any good honeymoon recommendations to visit after we get married! I'm open to anything that is laid back and gorgeous..just like Belize!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to travel after Belize?

How much time do you have? Interests? Budget?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to travel after Belize?

Why leave Belize? There's plenty within the country to fill an entire vacation / honeymoon.

But offhand, Tikal makes an excellent detour.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to travel after Belize?

In Belize... Caye Caulker (or one of the other cayes). Hopkins, Sarteneja, one of the jungle lodges in the Cayo District.

In Mexico... Bacalar, Mahahual (when there's no cruise ship).

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to travel after Belize?

I would suggest Bacalar and the Yucatan Peninsula. Southern Belize is nice, and you can take a boat to Rio Dulce, which is a quaint spot.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to travel after Belize?

Thanks for the response! We probably have about 1 1/2 weeks - 2 weeks for the honeymoon. Our interests are a mix of relaxing on the beach, outdoor stuff (bird watching, snorkling, nature hikes), sight seeing and music. Our budget is flexible...I think our top is about $2000-$3000 for the entire honeymoon. Thanks!

glendale arizona
Level Contributor
167 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to travel after Belize?

congrats...fly to cancun!!!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
856 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to travel after Belize?

If you are going to stay on AC for awhile and get your beach time in there, then I'd recommend an overnight to Lamanai, and/or Tikal. (Stay for at least 3 nights at Tikal). As MrB said, check out the jungle lodges around Cayo. This should satisfy your bird watching. Hiking around the ruins is great, esp. Tikal, it is large enough that you can not see it all in 1 day. (The ruins are another great place for birds, & monkeys).

Check out the Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve, go horseback riding, explore some caves, see the 1000 ft. waterfall.

Lots to do just in Belize!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to travel after Belize?

Thanks so much! We are thinking about going to Cayo after Ambergris and then going to Bacalar as a stop over point between Belize and Tulum. I'm a tad wary of taking the overnight bus for over 7 hours! Has anyone taken that crazy bus ride from Belize to Tulum?

glendale arizona
Level Contributor
167 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to travel after Belize?

Try alkalki in bacalar..little expensive but worth it...and for tulum Azucar ..lunamielera room

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to travel after Belize?

In December we flew from Ambergris to Corozal, hired a transfer to Chetumal, then hopped on a bus to Tulum. We left Ambergris at 7am, were in Tulum in time for a late lunch. An overnight bus would cause me to lose several days of my trip. I wouldn't be able to sleep on the bus, then, I'd be exhausted for days afterward. If you think you can sleep the overnight would work.

The connections wouldn't be as easy coming from Cayo, I'd look into a transfer to Chetumal, then a bus to Tulum.