We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Belize right for us?

Midwest
Level Contributor
122 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Is Belize right for us?

We've had a few Carribean trips but are looking for something new. I'm thinking the chance to visit Mayan ruins as well as enjoy the laid back beach life would be a good mix. Am I on track? We like nice sand beaches and would probably do a little snorkeling...no scuba diving though. We like to eat out but also enjoy preparing some meals at home. Good music (jazz, Latin), would be a great plus if it were available. We're not big shoppers or sight seeers (except for the afore-mentioned ruins.) We don't need/want a big resort, but a pool and a good bed would be nice. Belize is a little harder to get to (from Minneapolis) than some of the Carribean Islands, but the housing options seem broad and the prices seem reasonable. We'd probably travel in Feb or March. What do you think? And if Belize is your recommendation, which location?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Belize right for us?

Belize has impressive Mayan sites, caves with artifacts, jungle, river and horse trips, waterfalls, butterfly farms and botanic gardens and more on the mainland. We have the largest barrier reef and 3 of 4 atolls in our hemisphere for excellent diving, snorkeling, sailing, fishing, kayaking and more. Friendly English speaking people, who accept US$ and same electric currency. An easy foreign country to visit

Midwest
Level Contributor
122 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Belize right for us?

Good advice, katie, but I'd like to know more about where we'd find some good music in Belize. I see from other sites much advice about the kinds of beaches we might encounter.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,561 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Belize right for us?

Ambergris Caye has live music multiple places every night, at least during the high season. Mostly rock covers and some country though, nothing for Latin or Jazz that I know of. There is a Cuban guitarist who sometimes places at Estel's. Not sure if he's still around.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,818 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Belize right for us?

We're big fans of Garifuna music and find it readily at hand in Hopkins Village at the Lebeha Center as well as restaurants and bars around town.

www.lebeha.com

Also in Punta Gorda, where you can usually find Ray McDonald who runs the Warasa drumming school, playing, often with his dad and a couple of aunties.

http://www.warasadrumschool.com/

Emmeth Young runs a Creole drumming school in Punta Gorda, too, but spends several days/week each in Belize City and - I believe - Gales Point.

http://www.marooncreoledrumschool.com/

Happy trails!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Belize right for us?

I'd recommend Hopkins for some of the best music in C.A. and that's due to the Garifuna influence. The Garifuna Collective with Andy Palacio won a Grammy. One of the offshoot groups(Andy passed away at a young age unfortunately), the World Culture Band, usually plays in Cayo on Sunday nights, on the newly refurbed Burns avenue. They are amazing, and play rock, jazz, Garifuna, and many other genres. I'd say they are the best in Belize that performs regularly. I usually take friends to see them; it's free too.

Emmeth Young is the best drummer in C.A. He plays in Cayo a couple of times a semester, and has the drumming school mentioned above.

6. Re: Is Belize right for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2015, 06:16