We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets? Packing Help Please.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
106 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria tablets? Packing Help Please.

My spouse has informed me we should be taking Malaria tablets before going to Belize and we leave Saturday. I had no idea. REALLY?!!?

Anything else I should know about or bring that I have forgotten? I was thinking shorts, bathing suit, snorkeling gear, sandals, headlamp, sunscreen and bug spray, jacket... anything else? We going to go from Belize City to the Zoo, Tikal, Ian's Anderson Cave Branch and then to the beach at the end.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,992 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets? Packing Help Please.

My packing list is #14 in the FAQ of the Thorntree forum if you want to check it out:

https:/…central-america-branch-faq

I usually combine some time in the highlands of Guatemala or Honduras before hitting hot, beachy areas; you likely won't need the fleece on the list but I always take my really lightweight goretex rain jacket, even during 'dry' season.

Whether or not to take malaria prophylaxis medication is a personal choice. Here's the CDC page for travel to Belize:

…cdc.gov/travel/…belize

Sounds like a great trip! I'm in the process of uploading photos from our March visit to Belize - missing that blue water!

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
106 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets? Packing Help Please.

Thank you hopefulist. There are no shirts on that list. lol

I am working on packing now with the help of your list. What's the bandana icey for? I am wondering where to get those socks.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,992 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets? Packing Help Please.

They're there when I use the link and drop to #14:

3-4 wicking-type shirts

1 light weight long sleeved shirt

Do you have an REI near you, or other outdoor store, like Cabela's? They should have the neck coolers. I saw them at Walmart years ago, too, before I stopped shopping there for political reasons (in addition to others). Same spots for the neoprene socks, though you won't really need those - will be hot when you're there and unlikely to rain much.

Happy trails!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets? Packing Help Please.

Re: Malaria tablets

Not necessarily, but you haven't provided enough information for ANYONE to give a definite answer.

In the past few years, the number of malaria cases has dropped significantly to less than 100 per year. Quite an achievement since they totalled over 1000 per year as recently as 2005. Since 1998, only one death.

The question that needs to be answered is, what is YOUR level of risk? If you're staying on Ambergris Caye, I'd say no need for prophylactics, but if you plan to spend some time in the rainforest, sleeping in places where you will be exposed to mosquito bites, then you should consider taking tablets.

Also be aware of dengue fever, also spread through mosquito bites and no prophylactics. In 2013, dengue outbreaks were reported in Belize and throughout Central America with several deaths reported. Therefore, my best advice is to take all steps necessary to avoid being bitten, and follow your doctor's advice about malaria tablets.

Re: Packing

You probably won't need these on a short visit, but I always carry a Swiss Army knife (obviously not on carry-on) and small flashlight. The bottle opener and corkscrew on the Swiss Army knife might be handy.

What about a hat?

If you bring long pants, the only place you'll probably wear them is on the airplane.

You won't need a long-sleeved shirt for warmth, but maybe to prevent mosquito bites

Ziplock bags to keep stuff dry?

A few clothes pins for hanging up wet stuff.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
106 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets? Packing Help Please.

Thank you hopefulist,

I ran out of time to go to REI but will keep them in mind for the future. I don't even own a backpack. I'm packing the past two days with your list.

MisterB266

I thought I mentioned where we were going...

"We going to go from Belize City to the Zoo, Tikal, Ian's Anderson Cave Branch and then to the beach at the end.?

I got a Typhoid shot, Hep A booster & I have Malaria pills. We're going to do our best to not be bitten. It seems like the hotel near Tikal & Caves Branch would have mosquitoes. I thought what I have might be over kill and now you have me worried about Dengue fever! Good advice on the tool. I think I have a mini tool some where but won't they take it away on the plane? I was trying to packlight & not check anything.

Are sunscreens & bug sprays easy to buy there?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets? Packing Help Please.

Although all the places you mentioned are low risk for malaria, Caves Branch might be the highest risk for being bitten. I have no data for Guatemala. It's probably too late now, but the best idea would be to contact Ian Anderson's for any update.

Can't help with the sunscreens & bug sprays -- I don't use them.

7. Re: Malaria tablets? Packing Help Please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 06:17