We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked for first Belize trip

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Booked for first Belize trip

I am sure many questions will follow and thanks for all responses :) How long can I expect for the drive from BZE airport to San Ignacio (I am assuming the best route is through Belize City and not through the Burrell Boom Cut). Also if we are considering driving ourselves to Coracol around the end of October will the roads be ok for a Ford Explorer or should we consider a 4wd. Thanks again, Ben

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked for first Belize trip

Belize is not a very large country, the distance between BC and Cayo is only about 75 miles, and takes about an hr and 45 mins to drive.

From the airport you do want to take the Burrell Boom Cut, (Take a left out of the airport).

I always think a 4WD is a good choice for roads in any country. Belize has a lot of potholes, and an SUV can handle the bumps and holes better then a car's rims will. (Is the Explorer not 4WD? They are here).

Caracol is well worth the drive, but be forewarned, the drive is slow due to road conditions. Bring plenty of water and snacks, plan on doing a picnic lunch there. And don't forget to go to the Rio On Pools and Rio Frio Cave, (You will want a 4WD to get back up the hill at the cave).

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked for first Belize trip

It just says full size SUV, nothing about 4wd but I will check. Is the rainy season over by late Oct early Nov (we are in Cayo Oct 29-Nov2) ? Thanks, Ben

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked for first Belize trip

Agree with No.1 about timing & route (via Boom Road) to San Ignacio.

I'm wondering why you assume the best route is through BC? From a map, it can be seen as the longer route. If the condition of the Boom Road is a concern, I can state that it is paved.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked for first Belize trip

The Boom road did look shorter but less of a main road, which is why I asked :) Am still weighing the options of the rental car. It seems none of the major companies that rent from BZE have 4wd available and may bus to San Ignacio and just rent there for 3 of the 4 days in Cayo, but mainly was asking if a regular full sized SUV like a ford explorer would be ok for Caracol as this would be much more convenient. Thanks

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked for first Belize trip

Ben, we rented an SUV from Budget (at the airport BZE), and it had a working 4WD unit.

The Boom road is fine, nice drive, and there are places to stop and pick up snacks and sodas.

Oct/Nov are still part of the rainy season, but I've never been there at that time. I know it gets discussed here a bit. A quick search on TA gave me these 2 posts, amongst others;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291968-i2338-k707…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291962-i1458-k480…

Others who live there can tell you more about it.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked for first Belize trip

As the good DR. stated in his post, (in the Link), the rainy season can last thru Feb. We were in Belize in Feb. and it did rain most days, and was overcast most days. But you can't let that stop you, we didn't.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked for first Belize trip

Thanks, this helps a lot. It would be nice to rent the SUV at the airport and if it is too wet and we don't have 4wd it won't cause too much concern as I am sure there are plenty of other attractions. We do plan to hike to Cachal Pec and drive to the other ruin with the hand cranked bridge so we may skip Caracol. Thanks again, Ben

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked for first Belize trip

Xunantunich is a great ruin. Does not take too long to explore. Be careful climbing to the top of El Castillo if it's wet. The Stucco's are well worth the time, as is the ferry. Find Benny's Kitchen uphill and in the little town of San Jose Succotz, maybe 6 blocks from the ferry.

Cahal Pech is a ruin that is slowly coming to light. Both can be done in one day.

Try not to miss Caracol, it is a bit of a drive but Caana (Sky Palace) is simply a massive structure that has to be seen to comprehend.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked for first Belize trip

If there aren't any 4wd's from BC, you can always rent in Cayo, and it's cheaper. No need to have a vehicle the entire time since you won't use it every day(some tours come with transport). I highly recommend Caracol, and you can do 3 other amazing sights on the same day too. It will be wet in October.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked for first Belize trip

I really like the idea of a rental from the airport as opposed to taxi, then bus and another taxi in San Ignacio. Also after the four nights in Cayo we're off to Caye Caulker for a week of relaxation, and it seems we can return the vehicle in BC near the water taxi. We are staying near downtown in SI and will probably go out halloween night bar hopping and wanted to do Cahal Pec and Xanantunich the day after as we may not feel so energetic :) This would give us two other full days to explore the area. I would consider a tour to Caracol but am open to other suggestions as well. We have already decided ATM may be too strenuous for us as we are both in our 50's and not in prime shape and have physically demanding jobs here at home. Love rivers and caves but not so much hiking and climbing, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks, Ben