We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need some help with our plans.

mn
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I need some help with our plans.

Last year was our first trip to Belize. We stayed on AC and loved it!! This year we would like to do at least one of the inland tours prior to going to AC. So here are my questions. Would you pick ATM or Crystal Cave? If we didn't want to really do any other tours would you ever stay on the beach on the main land or still go to AC? We would not want to rent a car and like the convenience of walking to restaurants, bars, etc on AC. Not sure if there is any place like that on the main land. Once we arrive in Belize City, where would you stay over night at to be close to one of these tours? Once we are done with the tour do we have to go back to Belize City to go to AC or is there somewhere closer to take the water taxi? I know....so many questions!!! I apologize!

MayaWalk Tours
Caverns & Caves, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Eco Tours, Archaeology Tours
Belize Food Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need some help with our plans.

If you want a cave tour, arrive and transfer to Cayo. Stay at a jungle lodge near the cave you want to visit. San Ignacio town is nice to visit and walk around in and has restaurant and bars, but is certainly more laid back than Ambergris.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need some help with our plans.

Hi ChicaMN!

(1) I think that either ATM or Crystal Cave are fine. I really liked ATM, and most people prefer it over Crystal, but you do need to be in good shape.

(2) I agree with katie’: you should be in Cayo, either in San Ignacio, or in one of several lodges around. Do not stay in Belize City or on the beach -- the trip to ATM typically start early morning from San Ignacio (we got to the office in San Ignacio at 9:15, and we were the last group of the day).

(3) Once you get done with ATM or Crystal Cave, the next day get a bus to Belize City’s Municipal airport to fly to San Pedro. It is cheaper than flying from Belize International Airport. Alternatively, you can catch a boat from the dock in Belize City.

(4) While Belize City was fine for me, you should recognize that it has extremely high crime rate, so spending the night, walking around to restaurants, bars, etc. as you did in AC, may not be the wisest choice to make.

Good luck!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: I need some help with our plans.

Adding on, If you do decide to stay inland I concur with the above the town of San Ignacio provides you with the convenience of walking to shops and restaurants that you mentioned. Also, you can fly from San Ignacio via Maya Flats airstrip to Ambergis Caye using Tropic Air

4. Re: I need some help with our plans.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 06:16