We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions before finalizing reservations

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Questions before finalizing reservations

This will be our first trip to Belize. Trip is for our family of 4 - hubby and myself and two teen sons, ages 16 and 13. We plan to travel at the end of July. Belize appealed to us because it seemed to be the right balance of relaxing at the beach & pool and fun things to do for our kids. I've done a lot of research, perhaps even too much as I feel like I'm over analyzing everything now. So I thought I would post here for input before I book the trip.

I originally assumed we'd go to Ambergris Caye which I knew to be the most popular location in Belize. But as I began looking into this, I realized that it may not be the best location because it was not on the mainland. It seemed as thought it limited what tours we could do or would require added time/expense to do them. My focus then shifted to Placencia. I seemed to find exactly what I was looking for in the Inn at Robert's Grove. They offered a 2 bedroom villa within my pricepoint which was important as we don't do well in a single hotel room. I especially liked their Belize Adventure Package which included accomodations, meals & excursions including a snorkeling trip, mayan ruins/cave swimming trip, monkey river float trip, and the jaguar preserve. Most of the reviews are pretty good for this resort, though I've seen several that were not. Its almost hard to explain how some of the reviews can be so opposite. I am inclined to think it may be partly due to inconsistency of the staff and partly due to unrealistic American standards. I guess my questions are really this.

1) Any thoughts on Robert's Grove? And is there anyone who has actually done the Belize Adventure - or any of these individual tours that might be able to give me more information? There is very limited info on the website.

2) Am I right about Placencia versus Ambergris Caye? Or are there similar tours readily available from there?

Any other comments/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Jay's Adventures
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Mario's Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Anwar Tours
Sightseeing Tours
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions before finalizing reservations

Roberts Grove is a very nice resort and the saying that you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time is definitely relative in the hospitality industry although I am positive most accommodations strive for complete guest satisfaction. With that said, why not split your trip between inland and Cayes which is the most common itinerary for most tourists. Spend a few days inland so you can experience the Maya sites, caves etc then do the last leg on the Cayes for the Belizean beach experience. Happy Planning :)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions before finalizing reservations

My recommendation is to split it up. Assuming you are going for a week, do 3-4 nights at Ambergris Caye, and do 4-3 nights at Cayo District.

And yes, although I love Belize, it is not entirely up to the American standards (which is actually what I like about Belize).

But to answer your question: you should be able to do pretty much any trip around Belize (including all that you've mentioned) from either Ambergris Caye or Placencia. It is simply a question of money. The only day trips that would be difficult or unrealistic, are day trips to ATM, or Caracol.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
3. Re: Questions before finalizing reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 06:15