We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Belize questions

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Belize questions

The wife and I are in the beginning stages of planning a 2 week vacation starting in Cancun and then making our way down to Belize and then fly back home from Belize City. I imagine we would spend 8-10 days in Belize

A little about us - were in our late 40's, have traveled to Costa Rica/Nicaragua 6 times and 3 times to the Puerto Vallarta area. We're not into super touristy activities although our main focus of this trip is to see some Mayan ruins along with some relaxing beach time, good food, and cold beers with some opportunities to socialize in the evenings.

I'm sensing that Belize is more expensive than other parts of Central America or Mexico. How much are costs for transportation/food? We are traveling on somewhat of a budget preferring to spend around $60 US per night for lodgings if possible

We would be crossing the border in Chetumal. Is there easy bus service from the border down the coast? Where should we look into staying for beaches? Is a day trip to Tikal feasible?

I know these are broad questions but I'm really just looking for some pointers so I can do some research and planning.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Chetumal
Chetumal
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,264 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time to Belize questions

I'm guessing the jacket and gloves comment was in reference to the absolutely frigid temps that the a/c on Mexican buses is set at. I've rarely been as cold as the first couple hours (it was still dark out) of a bus ride from Tulum to Chetumal.

Although gloves really aren't necessary, I'll never get on a Mexican bus without a sweatshirt again. Lots of the local riders had blankets.

Mentioned in this post
Chetumal
Chetumal
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: First time to Belize questions

Ohhhhh - ok, thx for that tip!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
22 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time to Belize questions

If you take the overnight bus from Cancun to Belize City they keep the air conditioner on the bus set to freeze, so take a little blanket or sweater. the bus leaves Cancun at 10 ish and you will get to Belize City by 8 am. You can then decide if you want to head over to the airport and take Tropic Air to Placencia, or take Ritchies bus service to Hopkins. We were just in Hopkins a few days ago, you'll love it. You can plan some excursions from there. I would go to Monkey River, Bocawina for zip lining, Bunches of fun Banana farm tour, Blue Hole on the hummingbird. these are all trips that are easy from hopkins if you plan to use Hopkins as a home base. Enjoy your trip and I hope this helps.

Bernard

www.caoe.com

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: First time to Belize questions

Thanks for the info B. I was wondering on just how much rain could we be faced with during mid September? Also, I am making Hopkins my home base, should I just rent a car for those day trips that you suggested. And lastly, cave tubing is only from Belize City?

Mentioned in this post
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time to Belize questions

Cave tubing starting just off the Hummingbird from Caves Branch Jungle Lodge, full day

16. Re: First time to Belize questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:16