We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to the Cayes, which one?

Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
New to the Cayes, which one?

We typcailly go to Jamaica and Bahamas and Belize has been on my mind for a few years. We can go to Negril Jamacia leaving Chicago for under $600 for ten days in November (airfare and hotel). Can we do this on one of the Cayes in Belize? If so what hotel and what Caye? We are not 5 star hotel people. We typically are only at the hotel to sleep and we love spending our days walking around the area. In the past I've used about every internet travel site to get package deals (travelocity, expedia, Air Jamaica, US Airways, Vactionoutlet.com, etc.). I'm looking for November 2008 because 2007 is already booked for Jamaica.

thanks in advance..... :)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to the Cayes, which one?

Hi, I live in Iowa and you can't even get to Belize for $600.00 right now. Airfares have done nothing but go up for the past year.

There aren't any nonstops from Chicago.

Cheapest way to get to Belize is generally via Cancun, which involves a 6 hour bus ride after the flight. Then you still have to cross the border and ride to Belize City or fly to San Pedro.

Caye Caulker is generally cheaper than Ambergris, although you can stay and eat cheaply there if you try.

Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New to the Cayes, which one?

LOL...I'd never do a 6 hour bus ride on vacation but thanks for the advice! How do you get to Belize? Do you fly out of Chicago or do you use another airport? We live in eastern Iowa (Cedar Rapids) so we typically drive to Chicago the night before we leave when we go anywhere. Flying anywhere from Iowa takes SOOO long I can't stand it.

new york
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to the Cayes, which one?

Heybuddy43, We just saw round trip to Cancun $250 rt nonstop from NY when you compare it to $587 with stops from NY it makes sense. We are looking at all the options but if we find a fare that can't be beat will take the long way, there is always something to stop and see.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to the Cayes, which one?

Heybuddy43,

I live in North Liberty, so we're practically neighbors. We travel to Belize several times a year, most of the time it isn't much cheaper from Chicago. Plus, I really don't like the drive to Chicago (just drove it today, we went to the Iowa game).

So we just suck it up, and pay to fly out of Cedar Rapids. American Airlines to Dallas, then onto Belize City. Usually we have to stay overnight in Dallas coming home,but this coming trip we're going through Miami and should make it home the same day.

We have driven to Des Moines and flown Continental, but there haven't been any deals there lately that we've found.

Personally, I'd rather do the six hour bus ride from Cancun to the border than the four hour drive to Chicago.

Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New to the Cayes, which one?

yes we are neighbors! We have a Harley and Bob's Place is a popular stop on rides so we go there at least once a year. Once in a while we'll drive to Rookies for Prime Rib (mmmm). I'll start looking for flights from C.R. as well. I just hate it taking two days to eitehr get there or get back but even out of ORD it isnt; much better. Do you do each part seperate (i.e. flight and room) or do you get a package deal? I find the package deals the best for going to Jamaica. I might save a few dollars doing each seperate but I'd rather do it all at once. Ambergris Cays is where I thought we'd like most (ok, where I thought I'D like the most. D.H. is going to be a hard sell, he isn't excieted about going somewhere new).

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to the Cayes, which one?

Bob's Place and Rookies are right up the street from me, less than a 10 minute walk. Bob used to be my neighbor, now just his exwife is.

I've never been to Jamaica, it's on my 'short list'. One of my former roommates has been to both Jamaica and Belize, she prefers Jamaica. From what I can tell, the beaches are better in Jamaica.

We have a condo on Ambergris, so no more deciding where to stay. We've always booked our own place, partly because we don't stay at resorts, much prefer smaller places.

I do like Ambergris. If you stay close to town, you can walk everywhere. Large choice of restaurants and bars. Some sort of music every night. Defnitely more 'touristy' than other parts of Belize, the 'touristy' in Belize is a relative term.

If the hurricane doesn't mess things up, we'll be heading back down in two weeks.

Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New to the Cayes, which one?

If you ever do go to Jamaica I recommend Negril. It's on the west end (about a 90 minute drive from the airport in Montego Bay). It is very laid back. We actually stay away from the beach. We stay in the cliffs, it dies down up there around 11:00 P.M. but we love walking around and bar hopping and eating at different places. On the beach the "hagglers" are too much for us. The hagglers are not so bad in the cliffs. We go to the beach a few times within our 10-11 day stay but we can get in the water in the cliffs (by jumping 20-100 fet down!). We do have a condo in Bahamas but we haven't been there in a few years. We like Jamaica so much and it's a lot cheaper for food and alchol. We figure when D.H. retires in 5 years he can go down to Bahamas for a few months and friends and family will come and go for his retirement party!

Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New to the Cayes, which one?

Jean...it's kind of odd but when I checked prices leaving CR vs ORD there wasn't hardly a difference AND the times were better! Going to Jamaica saves us hundreds of dollars if we leave out of ORD. It will be my little push to my D.H on why we need to try Belize (hey honey we'll save money not having to drive to Chicago!!). We like to go for 10 -11 days when we go because we only go once a year. Thanks for the advice. :)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,350 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to the Cayes, which one?

Heybuddy, I sent you a private message yesterday. Did you find it?

Airfares are just crazy for Belize. Part of it is the small market. There aren't any charters that go there. There's only about half a dozen international flights into Belize City in a day.

Jean

Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New to the Cayes, which one?

got it, I wrote you back....