We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramon's fire

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Ramon's fire

Just received some photo's of the fire. I heard the entire resort burt to the ground. Very sad... Does anyone have more details? I heard it started in the laundry room and spread like gasoline... Only one injury reportrd... WOW... such sad news.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramon's fire

Bummer! I hadn't heard that....

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramon's fire

Wow. Just saw the pictures in the Sun. Hope that no one was hurt!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramon's fire

It looks awful in the pictures. Just so sad....Prime beach front. Wonder what will get built there.....

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramon's fire

sanpedroscoop.com/2013/08/horrific-fire-rava…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramon's fire

I don't have any more details except no one was badly hurt. We were just returning with another family by taxi from San Pedro to Banyan Bay because the kids were tired of walking. We saw the fire right after it got going - high flames. Everyone running over or driving their carts. Then the power was cut soon after on this end to minimize any more damage. Quite a first day! It is so sad.

Houston, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramon's fire

I was there. They think it started in cabana 15..an electrical short. Approx 2/3 gone. Bar/restaurant/gift shop/kitchen/laundry/ main lobby all gone. no one hurt. only 3 groups lost all. People were moved to Sunbreeze (where I was). taken care of well by Bureau of Tourism. Heard they only had 22 rooms in use at the time. Amazing watching the locals form a water brigade from the beach because the fire truck was having difficulty. Also heard that they are already putting people up in the remaining cabanas. So sad! We had walked thru it hours before to get to the wine and cheese shop across and down a bit from it! And I had stayed there 20 years ago before it even had A/C! But they will rebuild bigger and better I know.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ramon's fire

On the Fodor's forum, Katie Valk said, "They are rebuilding and will reopen, soon!"

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramon's fire

I assume its okay for me to post this here.

This is the latest report from the resort, dated Sept 4

We have met with the local planning committee and have permission to begin reconstructing. Insurance has an adjuster on site and an investigator was supposed to be on site today or tomorrow. Not sure if they made it. Should have permission to begin clean up this week.

We have already purchased some basic kitchen equipment which should have been delivered today. We spent today on the mainland buying construction equipment which will be on site by Saturday.

We will have a limited menu with poolside dining by the weekend and we already have power and water restored to the rooms on the north end of the property which include (3) Garden King Rooms, (1) Garden King Family Room, (5) Seaside Cabanas, (8) Seaside King Cabanas, (4) Beachfront Cabanas, (1) Each Honeymoon, Presidential and International Suites. (24) rooms total. In addition we have power and water at the 10 rooms at the Belizean Princess.

We will have power shortly to the remaining rooms on the South end of the property. They include the other Honeymoon Cabana, the remaining (4) beachfront rooms and the (2) Each Beachfront Mini and Guest Suites. (9) Rooms total.

So a total of 43 rooms available in the next few days.

We will be constructing the remaining rooms and the central facility between now and December 20th, which is our completion date. Obviously there will be construction during this time however we will do our best to isolate it from the the guest rooms.

If your clients wish to cancel we certainly understand however I would urge them to give us a chance. We already checked in our first room and they are feeling like royalty. The dive shop has not missed a day and the golf cart station is also in tact.

Hope this helps. Looking to the future with great encouragement.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 18:36
Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ramon's fire

Ramon’s Village Resort open for business...

sanpedrosun.com/community-and-society/…

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ramon's fire

Glad they were able to regroup so quickly - thanks for letting us know, MisterB!

Get answers to your questions about Belize Cayes