We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which caye

boston,ma
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
which caye

We are beach people who like to swim and snorkel not into diving. We enjoy a nice meal at the end of the day with a few cocktails. We also enjoy sightseeing and boat trips. We are planning a trip in March and would like some opinions on which would be the best place for us to stay for a week.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which caye

Several cayes, and also atolls, could meet those criteria. Do you like more developed tourist destinations with many dining and night life options, something less developed and laid back, or something remote and mosly undeveloped?

Level of accomodations?

Do you want to do mainland tours to or stick to the cayes?

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which caye

Ambergris Caye will definitely suit you then. There are many more private cayes, but they are smaller, and don't have nightlife...although you make your own nightlife there.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
767 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which caye

I'd like to put a good word in for Placencia. It's not one of the cayes ... it's a peninsular. The beaches are OK, the village has an interesting range of budget as well as more upmarket restaurants.

I enjoyed snorkelling trips from Placencia better then these from Ambergris Caye. And it was more easily to go on exciting day trips, eg. Lamanai ruins, Monkey River etc.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which caye

Lamanai too far from Placencia, but you would visit the Mayan sites in the Mayan villages in Toledo, south of Placencia. Yes, easier, less time and $ to access mainland day trips from Placencia or Hopkins

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which caye

We normally go to Placencia, so if you wanted the island feel, yet wanted to be on land, and closer to the Mayan archaeological sites, then check it out. Barefoot Bar is there, and it's the best bar in Belize.

boston,ma
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which caye

We would like to go to one of the cayes, We enjoy a good meal after a day in the sun followed by a little nightlife and few drinks. We wouldn't mind an area that is more developed and do not plan on taking any trips to the mainland if we stay on one of the cayes. We are trying to decide between Caulker Caye or Ambergris Caye. We are leaning to Ambergris.We are both in our fifties and would be looking for a midpriced hotel or condo. Thank you for any suggestions.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,331 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which caye

Ambergris has much better beaches than Caulker, and lots more choices for lodging/food/drinks/ music.

What do you consider mid-priced? Start by looking at Sunbreeze, Paradise Villas, Blue Tang, Oasis del Caribe, Caribbean Villas, Coral Bay Villas (I own a unit here), Corona del Mar, maybe Exotic Caye.

boston,ma
Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which caye

Looking at White Sands Cove, Xanadu, and Sunbreeze. Convenience to restaurants and bars on a good beach in the $150 to $250 a night range. Thanks for the help.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,331 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which caye

White Sands Cove has a cute little bar/restaurant on site. Walking distance to a couple of others, but, at least a couple of miles from town. Too far to walk at night.

Xanadu is a bit over a mile south of town. Same neighborhood as where I live and where Caribbean Villas is. I'm biased, I like the area. A couple of grocery stores, a couple of bars close by and some restaurants. We do walk to town and back often. Not on the beach after dark though.

Sunbreeze Hotel is on the south edge of downtown. I've never been in the rooms, I think they're just hotel rooms, rather than condos. There's also Sunbreeze Suites, on the other end of downtown. We stayed there a couple nights last fall, nice condos. Small balcony, I suspect the pool doesn't get much sun though.

10. Re: which caye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Belize Cayes