We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time travelers to Belize

Phoenix
2 posts
Save Topic
First time travelers to Belize

My wife and I are planning a trip in mid July and are thinking of Ambergris Caye but don't know which hotel would be the best. We'd like some privacy but also not to far from city for dining and night life.

Any suggestions would help

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,847 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time travelers to Belize

I think we need more information. What kind of budget are you looking at? Prices on the beach range from $50.00 to several hundred. Do you want a pool? Resort? Condo?

Walking distance to town, or easy cab ride or golf cart rental?

My personal favorite, right on the edge of town condo, is Belizean Reef. Nice condos, very clean, very light and airy. Downside is no pool.

Almost next door is the Palms. Also very nice condos, small, but nicely landscaped pool in the back.

Next to there is Ramon's. Small resort, very nice beach, restaurant and bar on site. Pretty pool. Most people think it's overpriced for what you get, but I have friends who love the place.

Now, tell us what you're looking for and I'm sure myself and others will have more ideas and suggestions.

Phoenix
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time travelers to Belize

Thanks Jeanh

We would like a place with a nice pool and room - $150 would be about what we'd like to spend.

We's like to do some snorkeling, zip line, sailing and just relaxing on the beach/pool.

Walking distance to the center of town would be good but not required.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,847 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time travelers to Belize

Lots of options in your price range. I guess I should ask what you consider walking distance to town. My condo is almost exactly a mile south of town center, I consider that an easy walk.

Ramon's doesn't list their rates on their web site, so I don't know what their rooms run in the summer. Take note that there is a 9% tax that's going to get added to the cost of your room, and many places also charge a 5-10% 'service' fee to your room. That fee is supposed to be shared by the staff. I've always been a bit dubious as to where that money really goes.

Many places are offering specials for the summer season, stay for a week and get the seventh night free, or stay five nights and the last night is free.

If you don't mind walking more than a mile to town, (cabs are cheap), also look at Xanadu, Banana Beach, Mata Rocks.

North of town center consider Blue Tang or Paradise Villas.

Another option, right on the edge of town is the Sunbreeze. More of a hotel than many of the rest, but they have a nice pool and a great restaurant.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time travelers to Belize

jeanh.................I'm new to your forum but have been very active on the Cabo forum. My hubby wants to return to Belize and we're targeting Feb of 08 as we just got back from Cabo. Can you suggest a place that has reputable dive operator on site or a condo would be perfect for us.............. We both snore..............You can stop laughing now...........:-).................We need a one bedroom with a pullout in living room so we can both get some rest. We were there about 10 years ago when it was a sleepy little town with one restaurant. We are really excited about returning. We did the mannatee snorkle trip with the Hustler group and so loved that. I don't remember who we used as a dive operator. I think we want something close to town as I've got bad knees. I have contacted Belize services and am waiting for prices. Your help is appreciated.............Thanks so much, Donna

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,847 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time travelers to Belize

I don't dive, so can't give any first hand information there. Amigos del Mar is highly regarded as is Protech and several others. Where you stay really doesn't make much difference, all the dive shops will pick you up at the dock where you're staying.

For close to town condos, I'd start with Belizean Reef and the Palms. I know BR has futons in the living room. I don't remember at the Palms, but I'm guessing they do also. Paradise Villas may be another option. A couple more options would be Mayan Princess and Aquamarina Suites. I've never been in the rooms, don't know how they're laid out. Mayan Princess is truly right in the middle of town, but on the beach.

We've only been going to San Pedro for four years and we're pretty astonished at all the growth. I'm afraid it will be unrecognizable from ten years ago. Wish I would have been there then.

Rotonda West...
Level Contributor
544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time travelers to Belize

Thanks for your suggestions, I will check them out. Yes it was very quiet, no tvs, phone, hand drawn bridge, no cars or very few. Golf carts back then also. Fresh lobster and fish dirt cheap from the local fisherman........Those were the days

NJ
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time travelers to Belize

I stayed at Changes In Latitude B & B and LOVED it! It isnt right on the beach but only a 30 second walk, the grounds are GORGEOUS as are the rooms, you have priveleges at the Yacht Club's pool (is next door, has pool bar), the hosts rae great and will help you with anything, and they make you an incredible breakfast every morning. It is also just a few mintues walk to Ramon's Beach (best beach) and downtown, but is still quiet and private. Let me know if you have any other questions or want to see pics of it!

(Price - $100 US in march, but july shoudl be cheaper)

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time travelers to Belize

<quote> We would like a place with a nice pool and room - $150 would be about what we'd like to spend.

We's like to do some snorkeling, zip line, sailing and just relaxing on the beach/pool.</quote>

I don't think that Changes will meet your needs at all. I recommend the Palms. In June you can get a 2 bedroom seafront condo w/ a porch for about $160. They have a pool, are close to town (less than 1/2 mile) and next door to Ramons so you can swim and snorkel at their walk in beach.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time travelers to Belize

I agree with the Palms. They also have one one bedroom with a twin bed in a nook near the living room. Number 23 I think--we stayed in that one last year.

10. Re: First time travelers to Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 02:17