We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

US
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

Should you book Belize excursions on your own or through the place you will be staying? It's probably cheaper to go direct? We'll be staying at Xanadu, Ambergris Caye and are specifically interested in Lamani.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

I've been to Lamanai twice with Tanisha Tours, and would highly recommend them. They have a new office, right on the beach, in front of BC's beach bar, and they have a web page.

They may well be cheaper, since when you book through hotels, the property usually gets a 'cut', and that gets passed along to the customer.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

Just came back from Belize and I second Jeanh's recommendation for Tanisha Tours (in fact, I think I got the idea from her). You cannot book Tanisha via a villa because they work independently. Just email them at tanishatours@btl.net. I had no problem booking at all. Lamanai was a highlight of our trip and ONLY because we went with this group. They truly care about their guests and showing them Belize. The day was a fun filled journey through the river jungle and fascinating Mayan culture. Have fun!

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

I will third Tanisha for all of the reasons cited above.

I would guess that more than half of the people on our Tanisha tour to Lamanai had booked through their accommodation so if you are more comfortable booking through Xanadu, you definitely can. Just specify that you want to go with Tanisha and they will set it up for you. However, you will likely pay a small percentage more for the convenience.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

Just FYI--I stayed at Xanadu too and they do not use Tanisha, although I'm sure they'd be willing to call them for you. Again though I had no problem emailing Tanisha and booking them directly. Tanisha does not work via ANY accommodations, whether villa or hotel. The reason for this is because accommodations take a huge commission from booking their guests so Tanisha works independently. In fact, I booked all of my tours directly so that the money would go to the guide and not the hotel.

You will love Xanadu! Ask for Orlando, one of the grounds managers. He is wonderful.

Belize
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

Lamanai Tour includes: one hour guided boat transfer through New River to Lamanai Site, park entrance fee, lunch, guided site tour.

On your Own:

By Air - US$171.60 per person, based on 2 persons. Discounts for larger groups.

Notes:15min round trip air transfer from San Pedro, driver meets you at airstrip in Belize City & returns you to airstrip after tour, beverage cooler with local beer, soda, water, ground transfer to Orange Walk included.

Tanisha Tours:

By Boat - US$150 per person

Notes: 50min boat ride each way from island to mainland. . Requires early departure from island approx 7am / 6:30pm return and includes light breakfast, beer, rum, soda.

Xanadu Resort-

By Air - US$$217

By Boat - US$148.50pp

(They book with Searious Adventures / Seaduced by Belize)

US
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

Thank you all. Great advice!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

Tanisha has dropped its price to US$115.00. On the two trips I took with them, lunch was also included, I'm guessing it still is.

I'm guessing the trips with Seaduced and Searious are similar, although I heard some disturbing reports of the Searious guides tormenting the crocodiles on the river.

Belize
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

I called Tanisha Tours this evening before posting my reply and spoke with daniel personally - US$150 per person was the rate he quoted.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

Tropic offers round trip by air from San Pedro direct to Lamanai giving you more time at the site and in the area.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book tour (Lamani) on our own or through villa?

I've only been home a week from Ambergris. The sign at Tanisha either read $110.00 or $115.00 to Lamanai every day when I walked by. I spoke with Daniel as well, although we didn't specifically discuss the price, just mentioned that it was cheaper than it was two years ago when I went.

Maybe the prices I saw were just an opening special at their new location.