We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

Calgary
3 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling

Just wondering where the "must see" snorkeling spots are in Belize?? I assume the Blue Hole and the Shark Alley/Hol Chan Marine reserve are musts, any other places that should not be missed?? The more sea life the better and would love to see sea turtles.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling

I don't think I would pay what they ask to snorkel the Blue Hole. Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley, Mexico Rocks are all good. There is also an all day Bacalar Chico trip with 3 snorkel stops and a beach barbeque lunch. A similar trip, but by catamaran, heads for Caye Caulker with two stops and lunch on your own in Caulker. Snorkeling off some of the piers in town is also interesting.

Edited: 02 December 2009, 17:14
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,952 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling

I think its an incredible experiance to see the BH, Half Moon Caye and be in Lighthouse Reef atoll. The snorkeling around the rim of the BH is very very good and the other two snorkel sites are also wonderful. There are only 4 atolls in our hemisphere, 3 in Belize.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling

Do you know what type of boat they use for the all day Bacalar Chico trip? Does it have shade and toilets? How does the snorkeling compare to the reef off of San Pedro and the Hol Chan reserve? Thanks!

Sally in Seattle

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling

Don't know the size of the boat, but it seats 20 or so. It is a motor boat. Shade yes, toilets, no, except at the ranger station at Bacalar Chico park. You are snorkeling at the reef, or nearby at both places. The Bacalar Chico trip is around the island, heading north from San Pedro, to the ranger station, thru the cut dug by the Maya's, then out on the reef side, where the snorkeling is. Check out Google Earth, and you will see a very straight, narrow line between Mexico and Belize. This is the cut, dug to facilitate trade. When you come out on the reef side the water is incredible--the brightest tourquoise I have ever seen! After the third stop, the boat goes back over the reef where the reef touches the shore, then back inside. Incredible experience.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling

kris48, who did you do this with? We would love to do Bacalar Chico in January.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling

We went with Searious. It was a great trip! And Willie's Jungle Juice on the way home.

7. Re: Snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2010, 05:17