We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked for Xanadu, offered Belize Yacht Club instead....

DNF
Brookfield...
13 posts
Save Topic
Booked for Xanadu, offered Belize Yacht Club instead....

We are currently booked for a trip in March to the Xanadu with our college age kids. The tour operator, for reasons unknown, is offering an "upgrade" to BYC. At the late time of our booking, Xanadu looked good to us. Now I see that the rates are considerably higher at BYC, but most of the posts I've read have some negative feelings. Some are not too current, so I'm looking for the most updated info.

How are the bars, restaurants, service?

Is the beach really dirtier there?

Is it a higher traffic area (we are to be oceanfront)?

Basically, for the same money, which would be a better place for us?

We plan to do several snorkeling trips, and like that Xanadu had free kayaks to paddle out to the reef in our free time...

Whatever help you can offer will be appreciated - we have until tomorrow to decide.

Thank you

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,854 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked for Xanadu, offered Belize Yacht Club instead....

BYC appears to be more of a complete resort that Xanadu, if restaurant/bar facilities are important to you. It's also closer to town, that could be a plus or a minus depending on how you feel about it. I've never stayed at either. BYC actually has lawn, looks lovely walking by. I think Xanadu has a more attractive pool lay out.

One thing I did notice when we on the island in December was that there was LOUD music coming from the pool bar every time we walked by. Since we usually have our windows open, I would find this pretty annoying. Things could have changed since then. It was never late at night when we were by, but one night it was dark.

Not having personal experience at either I probably shouldn't even give an opinion, but I think I'd stay with Xanadu.

green bay, wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked for Xanadu, offered Belize Yacht Club instead....

Just returning from Ambergris Caye I can give you some information but I did not stay at either property. BYC is definetly in a higher traffic area but seems to be a better property. But NO Beach at all. There is a retaining wall in front of the BYC. But then again there are no swimming beaches except Ramon's Village. Also next to the BYC there seems to be ALOT of garbage being dumped to fill in the empty lot. Not very pretty. Xanadu is on a much quieter stretch of beach and I watched the kaykaks many days paddling out. Never saw anyone go as far as the reef.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked for Xanadu, offered Belize Yacht Club instead....

I stayed at Xanadu at the end of last year. its a nice laid back place... great pool and grounds area.. its alittle bit smaller resort than BYC. there is no bar/restaurant at the resort (my only con for this place). the beach is nothing special. however it has free wireless internet ... room had great kitchen applicanes/equipment...save money on food..etc. i think to get to the reefs kayating is pretty far.. i also did not see anyone do it... most people didnt go out very far.

I went to BYC b/c on its dock was a diving school course... there is no beach there ... but it does have a cool bar outside and the grounds are very nice.. like a regular condo/apt in the florida.

i enjoyed Xanadu... laid back place..quiet..nice place.

DNF
Brookfield...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked for Xanadu, offered Belize Yacht Club instead....

I think I'm getting the feeling for the differences, I just wish that someone who had actually stayed there was around. Unfortunately, I have heard this afternoon, that they overbooked the Xanadu and it really isn't an option any more. I'm kinda ticked at the moment.

They seem to feel that they're giving us a deal because of the "upgrade". But I think that the limited beach area, no free kayaks or bikes may not suit us as well. If we want to go, we may not have a choice anymore. We're limited because of college breaks, so there's no date change.

Anybody stay there?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked for Xanadu, offered Belize Yacht Club instead....

Is the Yacht Club your only other choice through your tour operator? Villas at Banyan Bay is just a little south of Xanadu, so similar location, etc. and has units that accomodate 4 people. We stayed at Xanadu last year and had some meals at Banyan Bay. It's a beautiful property with a good size beach that was very clean. It's a shame Xanadu is booked. We really liked the small size of the resort. Good luck with your plans. AC is a fun spot!

florida
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked for Xanadu, offered Belize Yacht Club instead....

unlike these other people who have not stayed at Belize Yacht Club, I can tell you that there is no compasrison between Xanadu and Belize Yacht Club. Belize Yacht Club is in a much higher category in service, location, accomodations and amenities.

DNF
Brookfield...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked for Xanadu, offered Belize Yacht Club instead....

Thanks to everyone who has offered help. We finally sat back and let Delta do their thing. They have us booked into the Exotic Caye Resort, which is apparently next to the Belize Yacht Club, but still has the thatched roof theme. It will be interesting to see how things go. We really are looking forward to this, and I don't think the hotel is going to make or break this trip. March 11 we'll be down there - let you know how it was when we get back.