We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- June 2, 2011 - Blue Hole, Half-Moon, Aquarium

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
136 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- June 2, 2011 - Blue Hole, Half-Moon, Aquarium

My husband and I went to Blue Hole today with Amigos del Mar. Everything went without hitch. They are an excellent operator and the entire team was friendly, hardworking and very safe.

I snorkeled and my husband went diving. His comment was that the divemasters were very experienced and ensured that everyone was safe. There were about 16 divers and 4 snorkelers.

A handful of us snorkeled along the reef around the rim of the Blue Hole. Mike was our guide and he was just excellent! Can't say enough about him. He was a relaxed guide and he took us around slowly , taking care to point out all the different fishes...it was just fabulous, lots of parrotfish, squirrel fish, Angelfish, French Angelfish, sargeants and sharks! So cool.

We then moved on to Half Moon Caye, where we snorkeled from one end of this gorgeous little island. Again lots of beautiful fish, but for me the hghlight was the nudi branch.I had never seen one so I was pretty excited over this tiny little thing.

We enjoyed a great lunch of chicken with rice and beans and some potato salad then strolled over to the bird outlook to look at the red footed booby birds.

Then off we went to Long Caye and snorkeled the Aquarium, saw some lobsters here and the same colorful fish as the other two sites. Overall I can say that I much preferred this relaxed snorkel with a total group ranging from 3-5, over Hol Chan. There were lots of people snorkeling Hol Chan and it gets a little crazy. It is still a great snorkel, just more energetic.

So all in all it was a super excellent trip, really the only thing bad I can say was the open water crossing can get really choppy so good thing I was prepared and took some Dramamine on the way out and way back.

I'll try and post some pictures next time, I am soooo tired, but in a great way!

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- June 2, 2011 - Blue Hole, Half-Moon, Aquarium

Sounds like you had a great snorkel/dive trip. Looked up nudi branch [ never seen one] that must have been super cool.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,815 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- June 2, 2011 - Blue Hole, Half-Moon, Aquarium

Thanks for posting this review!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,272 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- June 2, 2011 - Blue Hole, Half-Moon, Aquarium

great review! thanks

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- June 2, 2011 - Blue Hole, Half-Moon, Aquarium

Nice report. Couple of questions? Where did they pick you up from, how many hours was the trip & what was the cost? Trying to get tours booked:)

Thank you

KNK

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
136 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report- June 2, 2011 - Blue Hole, Half-Moon, Aquarium

We booked from the Phoenix

But you can book directly with Amigos del Mar. I think thr price is the same either way. AMD is known for this tour and I would recommend them especially since they have the big boat. We walked from Phoenix but they picked up people from two other docks , Ramons and Xanadu.

We left at 6am and were back by around 515pm. I will send you an email privately for the price.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report- June 2, 2011 - Blue Hole, Half-Moon, Aquarium

Thank you very much so just about a full 12 hours..not bad for a vaca day:)

We've just gotta see this hole! haha

KNK

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report- June 2, 2011 - Blue Hole, Half-Moon, Aquarium

Nice trip report. Thanks for posting!

8. Re: Trip Report- June 2, 2011 - Blue Hole, Half-Moon, Aquarium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 06:18