We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School supplies

Flower Mound, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
School supplies

We will be arriving in San Pedro on June 26th and are wanting to bring supplies for the school. I thought I remember a website that shows what is needed by the school but cannot remember the site.

Does anyone happen to know where I can get a list of needed supplies?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School supplies

type school supplies in the search bar and hit enter

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,749 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School supplies

Here's a link to one school's 'wish list'.

http://www.holycrossbelize.org/

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School supplies

there more places to donate when you do the search

Flower Mound, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: School supplies

I did a search and much of the posts were really old with many of the replies removed because of the time elapse.

Thanks for link, I will see what I can do.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,977 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School supplies

We used to pack school supplies along on our visits to Central America but have decided it's better all around to buy them once we get there. We can travel lighter, ask specifically what their current needs are, and support local businesses when we purchase locally instead of in the US. Also, it can create more problems than it solves to have a small donation of supplies that are different than the students and teachers have most of the time. An exception to this is quality art supplies. Just my 2 cents' worth...

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School supplies

When people ask what they can donate for schools, I usually say that sporting goods are a good idea since the quality you get down here is sub par, and you can get school supplies everywhere. Plus, on all the school support trips I make to schools, I notice that when the sports supplies are pulled out, all the kids' eyes get big, and they go right for those, and start playing. Just my 2 cents.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School supplies

Be kind Belize is another great one to donate to. BeKindBelize@gmail.com

Here is an update on Be Kind Belize at Holy Cross School

tacogirl.com/2011/…

Here is the last big group wish list post

tacogirl.com/2011/…

Great points hopefullist and DrFeelAwesome for sporting goods.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: School supplies

Doc is right, sporting supplies are tops for schools, also musical instruments, you can get recorders in Walmart for around a $1.

You can contact anglicanschoolsbz@gmail.com for ideas on what and where is needed throughout Belize.

Right now, we are trying to raise funding for a badly needed summer school in one of the poorest areas of Belize, Mahogany heights. No tourist ever goes there, there is no one to fall in love with the children, they come from very deprived backgrounds. Just saying.

Hewitt, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: School supplies

My wife and I have read your ideas and will be implementing them! We picked up a bunch of jump ropes, recorders, etc at wal mart today and will be bringing them with us for the Holy Cross children along with a bunch of shoes we collected at our after school program. I did print off the wish list and we are interested in getting some more school supplies when we are there.

Is there a store on Ambergris Caye that will have the things we are looking for or should we go to Belize City for a day and pick up school supplies? (Geometry sets, maps, etc.. )

Also, Belize Queen, is there a way to find out more about helping Mahogany Heights?

Thanks!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: School supplies

You could also donate almost anything to the library. During the summer that is often the kids only contact with education. They need books, craft supplies, etc.