We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to Stay in Ambergris Caye

Califorinia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places to Stay in Ambergris Caye

My family, with 2 girls ages 12 & 15, will be traveling to Ambergris Caye in June. I am loooking for a timeshare/condo/house with 2 bedrooms for 10 days. A really nice beach is important and possibly a pool, but nice beach is priorty. Beachfront is very important and a location that is safe for my girls to go to the beach by themselves. Walking to restaurants is a plus, but not necessary. Price is a big factor - trying to stay under $200 a night. We are looking at Miramar Villas, Oasis del Caribe, and Gran Caribe (but a one bedroom). My husband will be diving and occassionally my 15 year old. Any comments on the above chplaces or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to Stay in Ambergris Caye

For the places on your list I would pick Grand Caribe.

A nice place south of town that is kid friendly and has a nice beach area where they do kids sailing training on Sundays - Caribbean Villas http://caribbeanvillashotel.com/

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to Stay in Ambergris Caye

I think Miramar has a sea wall. Not that it's a big deal, most swimming on Ambergris is done off the docks because of sea grass and shallow water.

I'm not sure if the beach in front of Oasis del Caribe is swimmable or not. Nice location just north of downtown.

Grand Caribe is a couple of miles north of town. If you're going to be eating out, you'll be paying resort prices for most meals, or paying for transportation to town, be it water taxi or golf cart.

Even though it's a bit over your budget, take a look at Banyan Bay. Very nice stretch of beach, nice pool, restaurant on site, but, also easy walking distance to a few local eateries.

Also, look at the Palms. Just south of downtown, nice condos, and next door to Ramon's, which has one of the nicest stretches of beach on the island. You can walk in and swim from the beach here, also at Banyan Bay.

Also, as tacogirl mentioned, Caribbean Villas would be a good option. Same general neighborhood as Banyan Bay, though a bit closer to town. Their two bedroom loft units really have a lot of space.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to Stay in Ambergris Caye

Although the beach area in front of Oasis has been greatly improved in the past two years with new palm trees and built up sand, there is a seawall and the water is shallow and grassy, as is most of the seafront on Ambergris Caye. People who stay there and want to swim in the sea usually walk a few minutes south to Patajo's dock or a little further to a sandy walk in area in front of the Blue Tang.

In addition to the great suggestions by Jean and tg, I'll add Banana Beach. It will easily be within your budget, close to the walk in beach by Banyan Bay and within walking/biking distance of several grocery stores and inexpensive local restaurants.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to Stay in Ambergris Caye

You might also check out Victoria House, they have some villas available, and also Pelican Reef.

Califorinia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to Stay in Ambergris Caye

Thanks for all suggestions1 I will be looking in to all of them :)

6. Re: Places to Stay in Ambergris Caye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:16