We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atm's

Fairfax, California
Level Contributor
478 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
atm's

I know this has been covered but I could find nothing recent. Sorry for the repetitive post.

Are ATM's available in San Pedro with US debit cards? I know most vendors with accept USD but will give change back in BZE. Is there a ATM in the BZE International Airport that accepts US debit cards with 4 digit PIN numbers? Do the ATM's charge a fee?

Thanks as usual, in advance.

Susie

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: atm's

I don' t know about ATM's in the airport. I've honestly never noticed.

There are lots of ATMs on Ambergris. I use the one at Atlantic Bank. It only charges about US$1.00 per transaction. I used to be able to withdraw BZ$1000.00 at a time, I understand that's been lowered to $500.00.

Belize Bank charges were higher, I think about US$3.00 per transaction.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
121 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: atm's

Just to confirm, the fees you mentioned are charged by the owner of the ATM and not the card's issuing bank, is that correct?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: atm's

I'm not sure about Atlantic Bank. There isn't a screen that pops up advising of a fee, I just see it on my bank statement. At Belize Bank, I think there's a screen advising of a charge, but, I'm not sure, since I have an account there, so I don't have to pay a fee.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: atm's

Jean is right and not the first person I have heard say that Belize bak fees are higher for atm use.

There is also one at Scotia bank across from Tropic Air.

Fuquay-Varina...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: atm's

I never had a problem finding a bank or ATM. Any transaction abroad will likely have a fee from your banking institution back home. This is small & you can call your bank ahead of time so you know what it is. As for the charge from the local instituton in Belize, I never experienced anything more than a fairly standard dollar or two, maybe three tops. ATMs dispense local currency.

6. Re: atm's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2012, 10:17