We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
126 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

We will be staying at Caribbean Villas and would like to get a sense of what restaurants to go to and which ones to avoid.

Also, if you could tell us if most of these restaurants take credit cards and if not, do they take Belize currency or US dollars?

Thanks in advance!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

read the reviews. BZD is always 2 to 1 USD and interchangeable.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

Truthfully "every" restaurant is a tourist trap. Locals rarely eat out. My Serect Deli which once was a local only favorit now has loads of tourists. Most take credit cards and you can use US dollar anywhere. I am sure Jean, Tacogirl and others we live on the island can provide their favorit "local" spots. This week I picked up soft chicken and grilled in the condo!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

I thought that chicken poo drop was a total bust - a half a dozen drunk tourists yelling and shouting. It was embarrassing.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

All of the higher end restaurants will accept credit cards. There were a few that had their menu prices in US dollars. Pet peeve of mine, be sure what currency the prices are in.

I can't think of any restaurant that I would consider a tourist trap. Fido's is one of the most 'touristy', but, we go there occasionally for lunch. Their food isn't terribly expensive and it's pretty good.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

Auddy and Jean are both right, my secret deli and lots of great local places. We went to a walk up window on front street the other day and got great burritos and a and a sweet coconut treat, I do not recall seeing a name but the food was food.

I would not consider restaurant on the island a tourist trap. You will find lots of good food choices on Ambergris Caye.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
80 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

I'm not sure I would call any a "tourist trap". Fido's or Elvi's Kitchen mostly cater to tourists but the food at Elvi's is really good. Street food, smaller delis cater more to locals but you will find tourists at them. Get a pupusa on middle street (sold on the street) delicious. El Fogon (a bit off the beaten path) is really good. So is Wild Mango's. You'll get good food just about anywhere...

Port Coquitlam...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

My husband needs to eat meals that I cook. What I need to know, is can you buy chicken, beef, potatoes & vegetables their easily?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

I'd say Palapas Bar is a tourist trap. It feels like spring break in Mexico. But, others may beg to differ.

I also prefer not to eat at Elvi's or Fidos, because I think there's better food and prices elsewhere. But I probably wouldn't call them tourist traps.

Almost everywhere with a sit down option takes credit. If it's cash, they'll take either currency, or a mix of both.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

Chicken and pork are easy to come by. It will usually be frozen.

Beef may be available, I don't eat it, so haven't paid much attention. My husband does eat beef, but, eats it rarely in Belize. He's too used to corn fed Iowa beef.....

Potatoes are available, but, are sometimes much better than others. We've learned to plan our menus by what's available at the time, not trying to pre-plan a menu and then not be able to find what we want.

Shopping takes time, our grocery shopping usually involves at least four different stores, we hit the bakery, at least two produce stores/stands and at least one 'regular' grocery store. Sometimes the meat market as well.

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What restaurants are tourist traps and which are not?

A good rule of thumb is that if the restaurant prices are in US$ then it is likely to be expensive. If the prices are in Belizre$ the you should have a good deal.