We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using iPad in Ambergris Caye

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Using iPad in Ambergris Caye

We will be visiting Ambergris Caye in February and I always like to have my iPad with me! Does anyone know if I will be able to activate my AT&T micro SIM card to be able to get 3G. We live in Canada and I recently got an AT&T card when we visited California, but am not sure whether I will be able to activate it in Belize.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using iPad in Ambergris Caye

All ipads are unlocked, therefore, your best bet is to get a Prepaid Digi sim chip when you arrive to San Pedro. They will "cut" the sim to fit the micro slot on your iPad.

You can use Att, but it is very expansive. I use my cell all the time when I am Belize ( I have Att and a digi phone) however, keep in mind you can find wifi just about everywhere. Just ask any restaurant and they will give you the password. I know of several places to catch wifi--not a problem at all.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using iPad in Ambergris Caye

Auddy is right digicell chip is the way to go. Chips cost around $50 bzd and can be bought at Warpaint and BTL. Sometimes you get $10 free minutes when you buy a card.

I use an lg at&t smart phone that came from the states and it is very easy to connect to to wifi here. Many places have it free and you can tap in while enjoying a drink or a meal. Estel's, the Cuban place in the park and Pedro's are three free wifi spots such places.

Here is a bit more Belize Cellphone information for those who are interested on this topic.

In order to have mobile cellular service in Belize, an unlocked GSM or Global System Mobile Communication 1900 MHz cellular phone is required.

Digicell phone company [uses sim cards] will work with at&t and I think T -mobile.

Smart phone company [does not use sim cards] works with most unlocked Verizon, not sure which other carrier will work.

If you opt for a digicell sim card for your phone, it is worth stopping at the local BTL office with your passport and phone to register your number for free. If anything happens to your phone you will be able to keep the same number. You can easily call BTL customer service right away and they will make sure your credit does not get gone. The cost to get your same number on a new Belize sim card is $22 bzd – very reasonable. Registering is also handy for those who keep the same sim chip for future vacations. You can top up periodically online to keep your pay as you go chip working and if you forget and your chip lapses you can sort it out on your next visit.

Digicell has a great option for texters - text bundles press *767 on your phone and follow the prompts. They have been adding double the amount you buy for a long time and purchasing a text bundle makes it something like .8 cents vs 25 cents a text .

Go phone is a reasonable priced option for those who want a to rent local phone. The go phone girls will meet you at the airport, or deliver to your hotel.

www.quicksilverbz.com/en/phone-rental.shtml

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using iPad in Ambergris Caye

You cannot open an iPad to get to the sim chip.

B.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Using iPad in Ambergris Caye

Does DigiCell have 3G capability? I thought only Smart had 3G service available. hmmmm? ...and I think two of the above answers have defaulted to iphone rather than ipad so the info may or may not be useful to you.

I'm going to suggest that, unless you are dealing with very sensitive information, you use public wifi. If you need more privacy, download a proxy VPN before you leave home.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using iPad in Ambergris Caye

I think that you are right about the previous defaulting to iPhone which is, of course, a different kettle of fish. I have since found out that the condo where I am staying has WiFi in public areas, so that will probably be fine for what I wold need..... Thank you

6. Re: Using iPad in Ambergris Caye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2013, 10:17