We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

Hi all! My family and i have a condo rented 6 miles north of San Pedro March 2 - 8. We need a place to stay the night of the 8th and 9th leaving out of Belize City on the 10th.

What is on the way back or close that we should spend the rest of our trip at?? I would like to move off of Ambergris Caye, as we will have already been there for 6 days. Should we move to Caye Caulker? Or someone on the main land that we can get to the airport on the 10th easily?

Any feedback is appreciated!! :)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

I'd probably head to Cayo, stay in/around San Ignacio. Lots to do there, more than a couple of days worth. It's only a couple of hours from the airport, you shouldn't have trouble taking a shuttle or the bus back to BElize City to catch your flight.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

I doubt you'd want to see another island after that. If you like laid back, then Cayo for sure. If you like the scene in AC, then maybe Placencia. Cayo has tons of caves, waterfalls, ruins, trails, rivers, etc.

Have a great time!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

Thank you both! I took your advice and we will be traveling to Cayo and then back to Belize City to fly out. Can't wait!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

Have fun! You might want to look into ATM, and MPR/Caracol for excursions while in Cayo.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

Right now I'm looking at places to stay if we wanted to do things around the Jaguar Paw Resort. Maybe we need to stay AT this resort? Is this the main area for cave tubing, etc? Do we want to stay in San Ignacio? Any specific details on activities or places to stay and transportation would be greatly appreciated!!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

We've loved the following places for different reasons:

www.thetrekstop.com

www.belizecamp.com

www.aguadahotel.com

www.cavesbranch.com

You can read my descriptions and reviews here on TA and see photos (blog and travelogue links on the main collection pages) here:

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Don't miss the ATM cave trip - a highlight of our most recent trip to Belize:

http://pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

Happy trails!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

Jaguar Paw hotel closed long time ago, but you can stop in the area for tubing and zip line or check Caves Branch lodge for overnight and the longer tubing trip and add on zip line, as well as other good options.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

Hi Katie- this place looks great! How do you recommend we get from San Pedro to this location and then to the airport? Should we rent a car? Is there a water ferry that would bring us there? I'm having a hard time figuring out the final logistics. Thank you for your recommendations!!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,007 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

You can rent a car and rive or fly direct from San Pedro to Belmopan and arrange for CB to drive you to the lodge about 20 mins away. Then road transfer back to Intl for your flight home, bout 1 hr 20 mins. Easy

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New to Belize- have 3 days at the end of the trip- where to?

You could head to Hopkins. You can hire a local guide for a jungle day on your full day. It's a great little town.....I love Hopkins!